PDA

View Full Version : Grafmatic - Eddie Gunks video

r.e.
29-Dec-2011, 22:11
Eddie Gunks recently uploaded a video on Grafmatic holders to YouTube. As far as I can tell, it is the only video on the internet that demonstrates how these holders work. I expect to receive a Grafmatic holder in the next few days and found the video quite helpful. I thought that I'd flag it here, both because it is useful and to ensure that a search on this site for info on Grafmatics will pick up that there is a good video on their operation.

The long version of the video is at http://www.youtube.com/user/eddiegunks1?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase#p/u/19/xIY5X6-l0tw

There is also a short version: http://www.youtube.com/user/eddiegunks1?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase#p/u/15/0TSATdotG1Q

cabbiinc
30-Dec-2011, 00:19
Thanks for the video. I would never have known how cool those things are. Now I want one :D

mortensen
31-Dec-2011, 03:38
Hilarious, although informative, video - whats with the guns and bunnies?
... I'm amazed, hahahaha :D

vinny
31-Dec-2011, 06:25
Thanks for the video. I would never have known how cool those things are. Now I want one :D

That's part of his evil plan.........

Brian C. Miller
31-Dec-2011, 13:04
THAT'S THE GRAFMATIC I JUST BOUGHT FROM HIM!!! :eek:
I just finished waxing that thing.

The manual is available on Graflex.org. You can also glue little tabs into the corners for better identification, see attachment.

r.e.
31-Dec-2011, 16:47
The manual is available on Graflex.org.

I was also able to find the service manual, in PDF form, on the Internet, which includes exploded views, info on lubrication, etc. It isn't on Graflex.org, and I don't know the URL at this point, but it didn't take much effort to find it.

In his video, Eddie Gunks shows that on a Chamonix one can remove the ground glass and fasten a Grafmatic directly to the back. I just received my Grafmatic this afternoon, but so far I don't see a way to do that on an Arca-Swiss. Am I missing something, or must the Grafmatic be held in place by the ground glass spring. Not that it matters, just curious.

Ken Lee
31-Dec-2011, 21:00
Does the Arca have a Graflok back ? If not, then it won't do what the Chamonix does in Eddie's video. The Chamonix has a Graflok back.

The sliding black tabs allow you to remove the ground glass without removing the entire back. Not all cameras have a Graflok back.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/Graflok1.jpghttp://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/Graflok2.jpg

r.e.
31-Dec-2011, 21:03
Does the Arca have a Graflok back ? If not, then it won't do what the Chamonix does in Eddie's video.

Of course it does. That's why the Grafmatic works in the first place. Curious to know what other back you think an Arca-Swiss camera might have. Anyway, yes, it's a Graflok.

And yes, I can remove the ground glass without removing the whole back.

The question is, when the ground glass frame is removed, is it possible on an Arca-Swiss to attach a Grafmatic, or does the Grafmatic need the pressure of the ground glass frame? If a Grafmatic can be attached to the back of an Arca-Swiss, without the pressure of the ground glass frame, how is it done?

Frank Petronio
31-Dec-2011, 21:23
The old Arca-Swiss had a spring back and the Graflock/International back was an upgrade.

I think a Grafmatic should be thin enough to slip into most spring backs though, so it's a moot point. The Graflock/International back is more important for using roll film backs.

r.e.
31-Dec-2011, 21:39
Frank, don't complicate this, if only because people down the road might come across this discussion and get confused, as I did when I read the nonsense on this forum suggesting that an Arca-Swiss binocular reflex viewer might work only horizontally. I wasted a good two hours getting to the bottom of that so-called issue.

As you know, any Arca-Swiss camera that is F-Line or later has a Graflok back.

My only question is, can a Grafmatic be attached to the back of the camera by itself or does it need the pressure of the ground glass frame? If there is a way to attach it directly, I'm curious because it is not immediately obvious that it can be done. I also don't think that it matters one way or the other. It's just a matter of curiosity.

On the basic issue, and for future reference in case anyone comes across this thread, a "Graphic Grafmatic", model 1268, works just fine on an F-Line Arca-Swiss camera in whatever configuration, from the Discovery on up.

Brian C. Miller
1-Jan-2012, 01:00
The Grafmatic can be attached to the camera itself IF you have a Graflok back.

I have attached pictures showing the Graflok slides on my Toyo and Graflex, and the Grafmatic mounted on my Super Graphic. See how the slides lock into that groove on the Grafmatic? That's how it works.

If you have the Graflok slides, it locks in. If you don't have them, then it just slides under the ground glass. A Grafmatic is about double the thickness of a normal film holder. So if you can slip two film holders under your ground glass, you're fine for a Grafmatic.

r.e.
1-Jan-2012, 12:51
Figured it out. There is a thin strip of metal on two sides of the frame of an Arca-Swiss back that slide into the grooves of a Grafmatic. I tried moving these strips straight up and down and straight sideways, which doesn't work. Turns out they actually slide on an angle (looks to be about 45º). Also, not having been used before, they were a bit stiff. Slide them a few times, and they slide smoothly.

The Grafmatic can be attached with or without the ground glass assembly in place. Is there a practical reason to remove the ground glass assembly when attaching the Grafmatic, or is it just a matter of preference?

Finally, several years ago, someone on this forum said that there is about a 1mm difference in where the film is between using a Grafmatic and a current film holder/double dark slide, and that this should be taken into account when focusing via a 1mm movement of the standard. Probably wouldn't matter unless one is dealing with very narrow apparent depth of field, but does anyone know whether this is true?

nonuniform
1-Jan-2012, 23:39
The only think I don't like about Grafmatics, and I'm not really complaining, is the frame numbers that appear on the edge of the film effectively adds another 1/8" border around the image, and that they film doesn't always stay in position. So, basically, I have to allow for at least 1/4" slop around the edges of all my film. No big deal, but just something to be aware of.

r.e.
2-Jan-2012, 02:06
The only think I don't like about Grafmatics, and I'm not really complaining, is the frame numbers that appear on the edge of the film effectively adds another 1/8" border around the image, and that they film doesn't always stay in position. So, basically, I have to allow for at least 1/4" slop around the edges of all my film. No big deal, but just something to be aware of.

Apparently some people like the counter and some don't. Some of those who don't have removed it with a knife or scissors. However, apparently it can be removed by taking the Grafmatic apart and can be put back if desired. There are a number of discussions on the internet about how to do this.

eddie
2-Jan-2012, 05:03
thanks guys.

i am happy that some people like some of my videos. i enjoy making them. i am hoping to improve my video editing skills, making the videos even better.

the reason that the ground glass is removable is for when using some roll film backs. it is not for using grafmatics. many roll film backs are made in a way that they do not slide under the spring back. there is at least one that will slide under the back....i think it is an older graflex made one, but for the most part roll film holders will not slide under a 4x5 spring back.

Sirius Glass
2-Jan-2012, 07:59
I had Bert Saunders make a plate for the Graflex Model D, which he sold to me, so that I can use the Graphic Graflex Back and Graphic Grafmatic 45 backs on both my Pacemaker Speed Graphic and the Graflex Model D.

Steve

TheDeardorffGuy
3-Jan-2012, 16:53
I am forever amazed at the re-discovery of equipment that I've used for 40 years!
I wrote about Graphmatics in a SHUTTERBUG article nearly 20 years ago and have always felt responsable for a price hike from a normal 35.00 to nearly 65-70.00. They are great items.

akfreak
3-Jan-2012, 20:24
A bit off topic but how do you use a Graflex Cat No. 1234 Graphic film Pack adapter work.

It looks like it could be made into a glass plate holder. I have a speed graphic (no Graflok back) but the film pack adapter fits in the space a regular film holder does.

I have to assume there is no longer a pack film for these backs. BTW great video Eddie :)

Tom J McDonald
3-Jan-2012, 20:46
Eddie, can you upload a video of you shooting the Grafmatic?

Paul Fitzgerald
3-Jan-2012, 21:11
"The Grafmatic can be attached with or without the ground glass assembly in place. Is there a practical reason to remove the ground glass assembly when attaching the Grafmatic, or is it just a matter of preference?"

It's easy to scratch the freznel screen if you have one, safer to remove the GG.

Michael Cienfuegos
3-Jan-2012, 22:49
I had Bert Saunders make a plate for the Graflex Model D, which he sold to me, so that I can use the Graphic Graflex Back and Graphic Grafmatic 45 backs on both my Pacemaker Speed Graphic and the Graflex Model D.

Steve

I personally like the bag-mag. Twelve shots makes it a really cool tool. I also have an 1134 Grafmatic holder for the Graflex back, so I can have 18 shots in two holders. That's usually more than enough for me. (when using my Graflex Model B)

jwanerman
4-Jan-2012, 12:54
One thing that I have noticed over the years is that when pointed downwards toward a subject, the Grafmatic will not let the exposed septum fall down below the unexposed ones, requiring a repositioning of the camera with each exposure. I own six Grafmatics, and this has been a consistent design flaw. Otherwise, they are a joy to use.

r.e.
4-Jan-2012, 13:02
One thing that I have noticed over the years is that when pointed downwards toward a subject..

Would you mind expanding a bit on what you mean by "pointed downwards"?

Brian C. Miller
4-Jan-2012, 13:07
The exposed septum is repositioned by a spring. The springs are not that "springy" and will not pushed the septum against the force of gravity. SK Grimes can replace the springs with better springs.

eddie
4-Jan-2012, 13:19
Eddie, can you upload a video of you shooting the Grafmatic?

yes, sure. please stand by....oh! with a pistol? rifle? shotgun? or camera? ;)

"The Grafmatic can be attached with or without the ground glass assembly in place. Is there a practical reason to remove the ground glass assembly when attaching the Grafmatic, or is it just a matter of preference?"

It's easy to scratch the freznel screen if you have one, safer to remove the GG.

you only needd to remove the ground glass if you use roll film backs. most all modern spring backs can accept grafmatics.

Tom J McDonald
4-Jan-2012, 14:38
yes, sure. please stand by....oh! with a pistol? rifle? shotgun? or camera? ;)

you only needd to remove the ground glass if you use roll film backs. most all modern spring backs can accept grafmatics.

Eddie, please shoot one with a shotgun at 5 feet. Thanks :D

Jim Andrada
4-Jan-2012, 20:59
I find that if I don't lock the grafmatics in with the Graflok sliders there is a tendency for them to pull out when operating them - at least on my Super Graphic the spring back pressure can't really be relied on to hold them tight during all the pushing and pulling.

r.e.
4-Jan-2012, 21:35
I find that if I don't lock the grafmatics in with the Graflok sliders there is a tendency for them to pull out when operating them - at least on my Super Graphic the spring back pressure can't really be relied on to hold them tight during all the pushing and pulling.

That strikes me as a very good tip.

Thanks.

cdholden
5-Jan-2012, 08:00
<snip>
but for the most part roll film holders will not slide under a 4x5 spring back.

Eddie,
The Calumet C2, or later improved C2N roll film holder, will allow shooting in any camera I've tried it on.
If you want to borrow mine, send me a PM or email and I'll let you use it for your next big production.

Chris

eddie
6-Jan-2012, 09:41
Eddie, please shoot one with a shotgun at 5 feet. Thanks :D

5 feet! :eek: you sure?

what shot size? 7 1/2, 4 or 00 buck. the buck shot may not be all that fun......

eddie