PDA

View Full Version : OT: Custom cut metal frames

Bruce Watson
30-Oct-2003, 06:56
I carry my 4x5 with me on hikes, and am sometimes rewarded for the effort by capturing a nice image on film. Some of the resulting prints are frameable. Like most of you, I'd rather buy film with what money I have budgeted for LF. But, every once in a while you just have to frame something, especially when the spouse demands it.

I do my own framing. My normal framing suppliers (Light Impressions and/or Dick Blick) will only sell me Nielsen metal frames in whole inch sizes (the joy of being in the last country in the world to still be using imperial units of measurement). Due to circumstances beyond my control which have to do with the size of OP-3 acrylic sheets and the width of saw blades, I need to find a supplier of Nielsen metal frames that can sell me custom chops in either cm, or half inch sizes.

Places like Light Impressions and Dick Blick seem disinclined to do this. If anyone will refer me to their favorite source (US, Canada, whatever), I would appreciate it.

Peter Rip
30-Oct-2003, 07:28
I believe ABC will.

ABC Moulding 13750 E. Smith Drive Aurora CO 80011
TEL: (303) 343-0041 FAX: (303) 343-1229

Don Bryant
30-Oct-2003, 08:03
Warehouse Framers in Atlanta - great folks, chopping frames is their only business and have excellent prices. They sell Studio Moulding wood frames which are *very* attractive. They also sell matting supplies and tools at really good prices and I've been doing business with them for many years. Highly recommended, an old fashioned mom and pop family operation.

http://www.warehouseframers.com/

John Cook
30-Oct-2003, 08:39
I have dealt with these folks by mailorder for years. Reasonable prices. Every kind of frame imaginable, including metal. Free samples available. Once you order something they will absolutely bury you in catalogues.

http://www.pictureframes.com/scripts/WebObjects/PictureFrames.woa/wa/Home?rid=GOTO_PICTUREFRAME&CMP=KA3830

Todd West
30-Oct-2003, 14:28
Alternatively, buy a mitre saw, a good blade, and uncut 10 foot lengths of moulding. You usually save upwards of $4/foot on the frame, so the saw pays for itself pretty fast.

Michael A.Smith
30-Oct-2003, 19:54
Best prices I've found from American Picture Framing in Philadelphia. 215-382-3900. Ask for John. He'll cut whatever you need.