PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Rhode Island

Ray Drueke
28-Dec-2011, 16:49
Hello,

I've been lurking for a while, learning a lot especially about building a camera. I just completed a 4x5 monorail and installed a Rodenstock Sironar-N f/5.6 210mm w/ Copal 1 shutter. Now to make a few images and see what it does.

The camera is based on Jon Grepstad's design with a few mods. The GG focusing screen gets removed and the film holder is inserted in its place. I also made the back large enough for 5x7 if I get more ambitious! (Not likely but...) The camera is made from African mahogany and I also built a tripod from the same wood, leftovers from a previous project. Obviously, making sawdust is another hobby of mine. Making the bellows was real fun! Its suede leather with the standard blackout cloth inside. 1st time I've made a bellows and I'm glad it worked! The suede feels good too.

I've enjoyed photography for many years but got reacquainted a while ago with Nikon D80 and D700 and several lenses. I also have a Minolta x370 35mm film camera that I bought new.

I've recently gotten interested in medium format with an RB67 and now LF with this camera. I guess I'll need to get a scanner 'cause I'm not interested in a darkroom (yet). There is a scanner in my Epson all-in-one NX400 but I doubt its very good.

If there is anyone in Rhode Island with a darkroom that can handle 4x5 I'd really like
to check the focus etc with a couple of negatives. I'd also like to make an 8x10 print for 'show and tell' at the Newport Photo Guild on Jan 16th - I'm a member.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far. I'll probably have lots of questions as I travel the learning curve.

Happy New Year,

Ray.

BrianShaw
28-Dec-2011, 20:46
Welcome to the forum, Ray. Nice camera! BTW, one of my ancestors is from Little Compton. I'd have to look her name up to remember it (one of the Aldens, I think... Priscilla, perhaps). If you see her around say "Hi" from me please. :)

amac212
29-Dec-2011, 06:14
I've never checked into their community darkroom (in Providence), but they may have some answers for you: http://www.as220.org/front/

Cheers, from a 3rd gen. RI summer resident :)