PDA

View Full Version : California's 340 Ton Sculpture: Photo Project?

r.e.
28-Dec-2011, 07:26
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/arts/design/levitated-mass-a-340-ton-artwork-on-detour-to-los-angeles.html?

Might make an interesting project for someone, or for a few people collectively, in California. Have a look at the slideshow.

David R Munson
28-Dec-2011, 07:50
Oooooh I would love to cover this, were I in CA. I hope someone here goes after it!

vinny
28-Dec-2011, 07:55
It'll never happen, it'll get carjacked within an hour.
China could do this whole thing in a day.

Brian C. Miller
28-Dec-2011, 08:59
Conceptual sketch: Levitated Mass (http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/levitated-mass)

This isn't a monolith, it's just a big boulder. The guys in the past moved real monoliths, you know, they look like rectangles? The stone was carved first? And what's this, 196 wheels? Come on, ditch the wheels, and move it with levers like they used to do!

Ech. I really dislike "installations." Pile some sand, and it's art. Chuck a big rock someplace, and it's art. When I saw the "artwork"'s title, I thought something would be floating. Nope!

Peter Mounier
28-Dec-2011, 09:56
It does look like it's just a boulder. I suggest the "art" is in the transportation; as in performance art. It' a highly choreographed dance, both with the municipalities involved, and the actual transportation involving overhead telephone wires, overpasses, and crowds of onlookers. For added drama maybe there will be a police car chase crossing paths, or possibly terrorist photographers getting arrested along the route. Oh, the humanity!

Peter

E. von Hoegh
28-Dec-2011, 11:38
It does look like it's just a boulder. I suggest the "art" is in the transportation; as in performance art. It' a highly choreographed dance, both with the municipalities involved, and the actual transportation involving overhead telephone wires, overpasses, and crowds of onlookers. For added drama maybe there will be a police car chase crossing paths, or possibly terrorist photographers getting arrested along the route. Oh, the humanity!

Peter

And so-called primitives moved 50 ton stones to build Stonehenge....:rolleyes: