PDA

View Full Version : Angle Viewer for Linhof

Mark_Se
27-Dec-2011, 08:51
I`m looking for an angle viewer (for my technika V) which turns the image on the screen the right way up. Which one would you buy? Is it possible to focus with the viewer or will i still have to use a loupe?
This folding viewer looks interessting: http://www.ebay.at/itm/Folding-Monocular-Magnifying-Reflex-Viewer-Horseman-Toyo-4x5-/220903893973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336ee5ebd5
not sure if it would fit the technika V

Ari
27-Dec-2011, 08:54
I don't have any experience with the viewer you linked to, but I have a viewer for my TK, and it seems to magnify the image by about 2x, you can't use a loupe while it's attached.
I use it to set up a low-angle shot, and it unclasps at the top so as to use a oupe for critical focusing.
Used seldom, but very handy when needed.

The one you show has a nice advantage, in that it is able to fold down to nothing, taking up less room.

Mark_Se
27-Dec-2011, 10:40
The one you show has a nice advantage, in that it is able to fold down to nothing, taking up less room.
right, it should also be possible to transport it without taking it of the camera!
Thats a huge improvement over the original Linhof Angle Viewer

I asked the seller if it works with Linhof cameras, but no response so far.

Bob Salomon
27-Dec-2011, 12:13
right, it should also be possible to transport it without taking it of the camera!
Thats a huge improvement over the original Linhof Angle Viewer

I asked the seller if it works with Linhof cameras, but no response so far.

No, neither the Toyo nor the Wista one will mount on your camera. If you look at your ground glass frame you will see at the top (where the film holder is inserted) a metal pointed and tapered post in the top middle of that end. If you look at the inside of the frame, at the bottom, you will see that there are two hol;es opposite each other. Those are the mounting points for Linhof viewing accessories. They have two pins on one end, one sprung and the other fixed. They mount into those two holes. The viewer (Right Angle Reflex Viewer that you are looking for, the Folding Focus Hood that comes with a Techinka or the Focus/Metering Bellows) then can be swung up and fixed in viewing position by locking it onto that post at the top of the frame. To lock the reflex one in position you rotate a small lever, to lock the others you just push them on the pin. To make sure it fits propely small shim washers are supplied to adjust the height of the pin on the groundglass frame.
Linhof has made two different versions of the 45 Right Angle Reflex Viewer; the current version is black and is a two piece design and the back part with the mirror and the eyepiece can be rotated to 4 different viewing positions, the original one was a cream color and was a single piece design. It made viewing from some back positions impossible.
As mentioned in an earlier post, the two pins and the lock mean that the viewing device is hinged and the entire assembly can swing down and hang in place should you need access to the ground glass/Fresnel. In addition, with the current design you can leave the front part on and use it as a hood in place of a dark cloth if you use a long magnifier like the Wista one.

Ari
27-Dec-2011, 12:35
This should work, but you should still ask if it works for your specific Linhof:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Monocular-Magnifying-Reflex-Viewer-Linhof-4x5-/370565501660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56476cd2dc#ht_1701wt_1189

Good seller, too; I've bought a few things from him.

Bob Salomon
27-Dec-2011, 12:46
This should work, but you should still ask if it works for your specific Linhof:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Monocular-Magnifying-Reflex-Viewer-Linhof-4x5-/370565501660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56476cd2dc#ht_1701wt_1189

Good seller, too; I've bought a few things from him.

Just note that since this one is rectangular in shape the eyepiece is positioned for horizontal images. When you switch to vertical compositions the eyepiece might be inconveiently placed. Same with very high camera position horizontals.

Mark_Se
27-Dec-2011, 13:48
bob & ari thank you!
since I`m shooting 95% horizontal i will try the folding viewer ari mentioned.

edit: i just recognized that i can get a used original linhof reflex viewer (non folding) for exact the same money,
not sure what to buy now.

JosephBurke
27-Dec-2011, 14:09
There was a Linhof Right Angle Reflex Viewer here on the forum not long ago and at a good price. It doesn't fold flat BUT it is, in my opinion, one of the best viewing accessories out there. I had that boxy Sinar reflex mirror for my Sinar F years ago and it's not in the same ballpark as the Linhof product. Toyo makes one too but again a far cry from the Linhof. Next time you see a Linhof Right Angle Viewer for $105 (i think that was the price here in the forum) go ahead and take the plunge-it's the best viewing accessory money you'll ever spend!

may be still available http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83465&highlight=Linhof+Reflex

Mark_Se
28-Dec-2011, 03:50
thanks joseph, what exactly is so good about the original linhof right angle viewer? Is there so much difference to the chinese viewers?
If you see much better with the original linhof viewer i might buy it, otherwise i think i will buy the chinese folding viewer since it is so much smaller and i do a lot of hiking...

Frank Petronio
28-Dec-2011, 05:18
Let us know how you like the Chinese viewer, it looks like a smart design.

I don't think anyone here has been brave enough to try one yet!