PDA

View Full Version : How big a back can I put on a Century 8a?

kenklark
26-Dec-2011, 16:12
I've got my eye on a 11x14 Century 8a studio monster that I want to use for big wet plate portraits. I'm assuming its the standard bellows length, whatever that is. I'm wondering how large a back would be practical considering it would be hanging off the end of my studio stand. 20x24 is the goal, But I'm afraid that might be too much for a studio stand. I understand that a Nikon Nikkor 610 process lens will cover, and I imagine that's the widest possible lens choice. Is this the path to take? Any insights, calculations or war stories much appreciated. -Ken

banjo
26-Dec-2011, 16:25
It looks like 8A is an 11x14 camera most of the one that I have seen had 8x10 backs
but its listed as a 11x14

Steven Tribe
26-Dec-2011, 16:37
Remember that the front standard is fixed on the Century system (unlike the continental type that has moveable front and rear standards). This means the compressed 2 part base will hamper any focal lengths under this length (compressed) as there is no room for a supersize box. The long stand will get in the way too.

eddie
27-Dec-2011, 05:51
I've got my eye on a 11x14 Century 8a studio monster....... Is this the path to take? -Ken

no! no! no! oh, and no!

if you push the back back about an inch and a half you can easily get 14x14....maybe slightly bigger. 15x15?

if you want 20x24 buy the correct camera or have one built. quit F...ing around already! (do not worry everyone....ken and i are friends...:) )check with chamonix. they are making wet plate 20x24 cameras and backs. they weigh nothing.

buy the chamonix already! lets do this once....and correctly! you are going to have to pay to play.

bwah ha ha ha! answer your phone....i am calling you now to repeat myself....:eek: :D

kenklark
27-Dec-2011, 08:16
Current Chamonix 20x24 price list, subject to change without notice.

2024 Horizontal: $6,015
2024 Convertible: $6,485

At that price I'll stick with my hipstamatic. Thanks.

jnantz
27-Dec-2011, 09:12
the 8a is pretty big ..
the semi centennial stand's bed extends and the bellows open up a good few feet.
i use mine for 11x14 + 7x11 ...
i am sure that if you have a semi centennial stand you won't have too much trouble
converting it.

you will probably have to remove the back that is on it altogether,
and fabricate a new rear bellows to accommodate your new back.

good luck !
john

goamules
27-Dec-2011, 11:09
If I were going to do 20x24 wetplate portraits, I'd consider a big, closed box with no bellows. Just thinking out loud here. I'd decide the size I wanted the sitter to be on the plate. Head & shoulders, or full body, etc. I would stick to that stuido distance for all the shots the camera will take.

Then I'd calculate exactly how long the extension would need to be. I'd make a long, big box out of plywood that length, and create some type of back to hold the plates. Nail the camera to the ground, nail the chair to the ground. I'd focus with the knob on the lens. But that lens would not be easy to find, Petzvals in this size don't even have a focus knob (can you imagine looking at the ground glass, while someone else focuses at the front?!) If I cannot find this type of lens, I would have to make a sliding box focus. But you don't need to have a huge range of focus and bellows if you are going to just do one thing with the camera.

William Whitaker
27-Dec-2011, 11:49
If I were going to do 20x24 wetplate portraits, I'd consider a big, closed box with no bellows... you don't need to have a huge range of focus and bellows if you are going to just do one thing with the camera.

Set the lens at a fixed magnification and focus by moving the camera toward or away from the subject.

eddie
28-Dec-2011, 05:42
Current Chamonix 20x24 price list, subject to change without notice.

2024 Horizontal: $6,015
2024 Convertible: $6,485

At that price I'll stick with my hipstamatic. Thanks.

But I'm afraid that might be too much for a studio stand.. -Ken

the stand can handle it....your wallet is the part in question!
you gotta pay to play.

if you think about it 8x10 cost $3000 new. so for double that you get 20x24? sounds pretty reasonable to me. is that price for a wet plate camera or a film one?

did you look up the price for a petzval for that?

looks like you will be sticking 8x10....

cyrus
28-Dec-2011, 08:30
As someone who has been looking for a 20x24 inch camera for a while for wet plate, I finally settled on an old process camera. Heavy, but FAR cheaper than a custom build job, and in any case I need the heavy build to handle the 8 lb lenses.