PDA

View Full Version : Fuji G617 Centre Spot Filter Query - 1 stop or 1.5?

jars121
26-Dec-2011, 02:46
G'day everyone,

I know, I know, a 617 isn't large format, but it's pretty close! I've read some differing opinions on the light reduction incurred when using the centre spot filter on the Fuji G617. I've shot many rolls with mine, always using the filter, and get varied results. Does anyone here have a definitive answer? I don't use a spot meter (not yet, anyway), which could also account for the variation.

Cheers!

Jim Noel
26-Dec-2011, 09:11
I sue 1.5x - 2x depending on the light. In bright, contrasty situations i use 2x.

Sanjay Sen
26-Dec-2011, 09:21
I cannot give you a definitive answer, only what I have found works for me. I use a one stop exposure compensation when I use the center filter, which is almost all the time, except for night shots. I do not use a spot meter to meter through the filter. I normally use my Pentax 645 (don't have a working hand-held meter incident meter) to arrive at an exposure, and then add a stop. So far, the one-stop compensation has worked great for me.

jars121
26-Dec-2011, 23:21
Thanks for that guys. I think I'm going to stick with 1x for the moment and use my DSLR to spot meter the scene. Hopefully that will give some more consistent results :)

Don Dudenbostel
27-Dec-2011, 20:50
Per the instructions it's 2x which is 1 stop. This has worked under all conditions for me over the past fifteen or so years.

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2011, 06:03
Thanks for that guys. I think I'm going to stick with 1x for the moment and use my DSLR to spot meter the scene. Hopefully that will give some more consistent results :)

1X is no correction. 1 stop would be a factor of 2X. 1X would be the same correction as a UV or a Skylight filter. In other words, worthless to correct fall-off. Just remember, the lens has to be used stopped down at least 2 stops for the center filter to work.