PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced tripod head for Sinar F+

Leszek Vogt
25-Dec-2011, 23:23
I'm a noob here. I'm in the process of purchasing Sinar F+, but the tripod head is not included. Are there any 3rd-party outfit/s that make these things...or am I forced to make my own ? Would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Les

rdenney
26-Dec-2011, 16:03
I'm a noob here. I'm in the process of purchasing Sinar F+, but the tripod head is not included. Are there any 3rd-party outfit/s that make these things...or am I forced to make my own ? Would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Les

The tripod adapter that clamps to the Sinar rail will mount on any head, if the quick-release plate is large enough. The Bogen hex plate is big enough (barely) and Arca-Swiss-type plates that are large enough are easy to get. The adapter has a 3/8-16 thread, same as tripod heads and so-called Euro threads. So, you'll need a quick-release plate with a 3/8" screw, which is readily available. I would not recommend a bushing to allow the use of a 1/4" thread--the typical size for small cameras.

The very best tripod head for the Sinar is the Sinar tilt-head. It is not cheap even used (typically a little over $200), simply because it works so well that people pay the price for one. Every other option is no better than a distant second.

But a Bogen 3047 head is plenty stout enough, and it uses the hex plate which is just big enough for the Sinar tripod adapter. If you need a real tripod head and have only a little money, this is the best option. These heads will mount on any tripod legs that have removable heads. Don't skimp on the legs.

You should consider whether you actually need a tripod head, at least immediately. The Sinar tripod adapter will screw directly to a set of tripod legs in place of a head. You'll give up with ability to point the rail up or down, but depending on what you are photographing you might not need it. And some tripods have built-in center-column leveling mechanisms that might provide all you need. My advice would be to screw the Sinar tripod adapter straight onto your tripod legs in lieu of the head, and then start using it while you save up for the Sinar tilt-head.

Rick "who screwed around with second-best for a year, finally bought a Sinar tilt-head, and then understood what the fuss was about" Denney

Ari
26-Dec-2011, 17:02
Rick is right about the Sinar head, and the Bogen 3047 is a decent second choice.
I bought the Bogen 3039 for under $100; it's more precise, stouter, heavier, and has carried everything from an 8x10 monorail to a Canon 5D without complaint.

But if you can get the Sinar Pan-Tilt, you'll be much happier.

cdholden
27-Dec-2011, 08:38
I'm like Rick in that when I bought the Sinar head (I think mine was around $200 also), I finally understood why everyone was so impressed with it. It was designed for that camera.
If I had another $4-5000 laying around, I would be interesting in a test drive of the Arca Swiss Cube. Since I don't, the Sinar head was the way to go for my Sinar camera.

rdenney
27-Dec-2011, 09:17
I bought the Bogen 3039 for under $100; it's more precise, stouter, heavier, and has carried everything from an 8x10 monorail to a Canon 5D without complaint.

Yes, I have one of these also, and it's just as you describe. You got a good price. My last set of 3036 legs had a 3047 head on it, and I told the store-guy that I didn't need the head. He said, "Sell it yourself." For him, the head was basically worthless. I've seen them for $15-20 in usable condition.

Rick "who ought to clean up and sell some of those Bogen heads" Denney

Alan Gales
27-Dec-2011, 10:38
Are you saying that the tripod head is not included or the tripod block which attaches the camera to the head is missing. The reason I ask is sometimes with Sinars this block is missing. At least some of the ones that I have seen on sale on Ebay. If you need the block I don't know of a substitute and most used blocks go for $50.00 or more on Ebay.

As for as the Sinar Tripod head is concerned, Rick is right and it is by far the best. I use a Ries head for my Sinar P and unless I really tighten it down, the camera wants to spin around on top of the head.

Leszek Vogt
27-Dec-2011, 11:23
Thanks to all who helped. Indeed, it's the tripod block that I'd be missing....and that's my concern. Haven't got to the tripod head (proper) yet.....or the tripod itself. I used to have a "Reporter" (Gitzo)....and that seem to be rather stout and relatively light weight. Yes, I may be looking at a different tripod this time around.

Les

Frank Petronio
27-Dec-2011, 11:37
A Gitzo Reporter may be on the "too light" side.

I think the block you are referring to is usually called the "Sinar Rail Clamp" like this one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinar-4x5-View-Camera-Base-Rail-Clamp-/370569962421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5647b0e3b5#ht_2180wt_1154

This is contemporary with a Sinar F+. Note the small Nylon cylinder/ring in the grips of the clamp - this part slides onto the Sinar rail and stays with the rail. You simply set the entire camera, with that ring, on to the clamp and tighten. It also allows yaw movement of the camera.

$75 is a little high.

This is the rail clamp that mates so nicely with the Pan-Tilt Head we keep hawking. There are cosmetic differences over the generations but in good condition they all work well and fit interchangeably.

Since we've already clobbered you into submission to purchase a Pan Tilt Head, the other factor is that you need some heavier tripod legs. A Gitzo 3-series would be the minimum, or a Studex model if you find some older models. A Super-Pro-Tele Studex is even larger.

Bogen, Majestic, Linhof, etc also make fine tripods of course.

Alan Gales
27-Dec-2011, 13:05
Yeah Frank. They try to rape you on the rail clamps.

The reason I know is that I bought a Sinar F that was missing the rail clamp. I bought it for the Sinar shutter and cables that it had so I made out fine.

rdenney
27-Dec-2011, 13:31
It also allows yaw movement of the camera.

A little correction from a guy who's surrounded in his family by flight instructors and pilots: You are thinking of roll, not yaw. Yaw is rotation about a vertical axis--this is what the pan control on the Tilt Head provides. Roll is what the rail clamp allows when loosened. Pitch is what the tilt control on the Tilt Head provides. The beauty of the Sinar Tilt Head is that each of these three movements have only one control, instead of the weight and bulk of duplicating the roll control.

When they say "yaw-free" movements, they are, I think, using the term incorrectly. The idea, of course, is that when the rail is tilted (pitched up or down) and the standards tilted back to vertical, swinging the standards does not then introduce roll. If the swing axis is vertical when the standards are tilted to vertical, then the camera is "yaw-free". I think "yaw-free" was used because it's related to the vertical axis, but it's really roll that is being prevented by restoring the verticality of the swing axis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_principal_axes

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/yaw

Rick "earning--again--Frank's accusation of being pedantic" Denney

Frank Petronio
27-Dec-2011, 13:31
Yaw right!

Now move your camera Starboard, not Port.

Leszek Vogt
28-Dec-2011, 12:39
Again, thanks for your input. I'm not liking it, but need to face up to a bummer....apparently I was #3 in line for the Sinar F+....and it was sold as of 5PM last night. I do appreciate the info and what to look for when the opportunity knocks again.

Frank, I like your attitude with your website....I almost installed a disclaimer: NO Facebook, twitter, etc. on mine....in fact I don't even have a cell phone = reducing that leash syndrome. By the way, are you being dipped....I mean, water-boarded constantly ? It has to be more fun than looking for a 4x5.

I should add that I'm practically rubbing elbows with Boeing....so I know little about yawning. Would I get the right tweak if I attach a Sinar (or X model) to the belly of a 737 ? :)

Les

Frank Petronio
28-Dec-2011, 15:40
Ha well just be patient and look here, every few weeks a good deal on Sinar comes up - there may be a good Sinar F-something there right now. Pick up a ~$200 150-210 lens and shoot away.