PDA

View Full Version : Sad News, Barry Thornton passed away.

Jorge Gasteazoro
27-Oct-2003, 09:15
Just read it at APUG, and was confirmed by Ailsa the editor of B&W photography magazine.

Here is the web site if you want to leave your condolences.

http://www.barry-thornton.co.uk/main.htm

Walter Glover
27-Oct-2003, 11:31
Sad news indeed Jorge,

A great researcher and communicator and a damned fine photographer. He will be sorely missed. As befits a photographer: May light perpetual shine upon him.

paul owen
27-Oct-2003, 13:59
A tragic loss to us all. barry was a talented photographer, printer and teacher with a great sense of humour too. I would like to take this opportunity to offer condolences to his family at this difficult time.

Ron Bose
27-Oct-2003, 15:50
His book Edge of Darkness is an inspiration. Sad news indeed.

CP Goerz
27-Oct-2003, 20:23
I second that on the Edge of Darkness book, fantastic stuff, just imagine what else he could have done!!

CP Goerz

David Karp
28-Oct-2003, 15:25
It is very sad. Not only is the Edge of Darkness a great resource, his book also gave a little insight into Thornton himself. Very interesting an unusual for a "how to" book. Not to mention the quality of his photos.

He seemed to be a nice guy, honestly interested in helping other photographers. A while back I noticed that the formulae in the book and on his website for his two bath developer were somewhat different, so I dropped him an e-mail. He answered, with a fairly lengthy note (use the formula in the book, by the way) and we had a little e-mail exchange that I found very helpful and informative, and for which I am still grateful. He did not have to do it, and seemed genuinely happy to be of help.

I don't know how old he was, but it seems to me that this is another example of too young, too soon.

Doug Howk
29-Oct-2003, 03:42
From bio on his web site, in his 50's.
His book Edge of Darkness is one of my favorites because of its great technical knowledge, beautiful pictures of ordinary landscapes and most importantly because of the person that is exposed thru his feelings & personal thoughts - a human being I can relate to & yet appreciate. He will be sorely missed.