PDA

View Full Version : Calumet C-1 variations

John Conway
23-Dec-2011, 15:30
I know there is a lot out there on this, but sometimes when we flare up a new thread new info comes in.I know the early models are green and magnesium, the gray and black models are later, and the Orbit was for shorter lenses. Now, I tracked down a picture of a black C-1 with a knob on the top of the front standard, like a Kodak Master, for fine control of rise and fall I assume. So I am thinking that is a very late model.

neil poulsen
23-Dec-2011, 22:36
The knob on top is possibly for tightening a compendium bellows lens shade. Calumet sold an attachment for this purpose that fit on top. But, it's hard to find. Once and a while, the compendium shade will show up for auction on EBay.

John Conway
23-Dec-2011, 22:56
Hey Neil, now that I look at the pictures of the camera I see that you are correct. It is the attachment for a hood. The cameras are referred to as C1, C2, and C3. I can't seem to find out what the difference is with the various models.

Merg Ross
24-Dec-2011, 10:38
Hey Neil, now that I look at the pictures of the camera I see that you are correct. It is the attachment for a hood. The cameras are referred to as C1, C2, and C3. I can't seem to find out what the difference is with the various models.

I don't recall Calumet using those designations, however, Lynn Jones who frequents this forum would know. They may have been used to differentiate the different materials used in the Green Monster, Black Beast etc. The Orbit model used that name and was not part of the C series as far as I know; at least not when I owned one. Neil is correct about the knob function. The C2 designation was used for the 120/220 roll film back and the CC series (400,401,402) were 4x5's with short rail, long rail and bag bellows.

John Conway
24-Dec-2011, 11:55
My camera came from KEH and they listed the camera as a C2, but all Calumet literature refers to the cameras as C1. The Orbit has me totally confused. I have a very cool Orbit 4X5 with red bellows and knobs which is made by Burke and James.

Robert Opheim
30-Dec-2011, 22:25
My Black beast does not have a knob on top of the front standard - it has a screw the stands out for an eyelit on the bellows that takes up slack in the bellows.

John Conway
31-Dec-2011, 09:07
I have decided to go against the grain and refer to my C1 as my black beauty instead of black beast. Mine is an exceptionally fine example. Since many of the C1 cameras were used by pros, they were used hard. The funny thing is, I wasn't really looking for a C1, but I did want a metal 8x10 to use in the field. When I noticed the camera on the KEH site, which I have been dealing very happily with for years, I figured I would try it out. I am in love. And I will say this, when I'm out there in the field, and suddenly a hurricane heads my way, all I have to do is hang on to my C1 until the storm ends.