PDA

View Full Version : A (limited) paper/developer comparison

Steve Goldstein
23-Dec-2011, 10:21
Perhaps this will interest some of you...

I made as nearly-identical prints as I could on Ilford Multigrade-IV, Fomabrom Variant 111, and Adox MCC110. For a given exposure on each paper I developed one print in D72 1+2 and one print in Ansco 130 1+1, both at 20C (I have the times recorded, but not immediately at hand). I cut the prints into sections and toned for 3, 4, 5, and 6 minutes in KRST 1+9 at 21C.

Observation #1. Each paper required a different contrast filter. With my V-54 cold light, a #1 Ilford filter on MGIV matched a #1-1/2 filter on Fomabrom or a #2 filter on MCC110.

Observation #2. With the filtration chosen, the three papers required the same exposure. This really surprised me. No, I didn't use a densitometer to check down to the last 0.01, but the prints all looked extremely close.

Observation #3. MGIV and MCC110 had very similar final color, slightly colder than the Foma.

Observation #4. All three papers responded slowly to toning. There wasn't much difference between 3 minutes and 6 minutes. I previously knew the MGIV was slow in this regard.

Observation #5. The difference between D72 and Ansco130 was very subtle.

After I'd made my own decisions I asked my wife her opinion, grouping the prints by toning time. After about ten minutes of study she picked out the MCC110/Ansco130 prints from the 3, 4, and 5 minute groups, and the MGIV/Ansco130 print from the 6 minute group. I'll ask her to do this again under different lighting to see if she gets the same results.

I found all combinations quite acceptable. The Adox and Ilford papers are so close that, for this image at least, I would consider them interchangeable. The slightly browner tone of the Foma is very attractive and I'll certainly keep some on hand for images that want to be a little warmer. Knowing the contrast and exposure differences between the three will save time and materials. Once I finish my existing D72 stock I'll switch to Ansco130 for final prints, but since D72 is cheaper and easier to mix I'll still use it for proofing.

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary. My eyes are not your eyes, and my wife's eyes are her own.