PDA

View Full Version : Wet Mounting on Better Scanning holder - Worth it?

sully75
23-Dec-2011, 08:44
I have a Better Scanning holder for me (wait for it) Epson 4870. I'm starting to understand that this scanner is underperforming, but it's what I have for the time being.

Anyway, I've never wet mounted with the holder. Am I going to notice anything dramatic if I start to?

Thanks
Paul

ljsegil
23-Dec-2011, 11:07
I found the most important step with the holder was adjusting the height for best focus. I think wet mounting does provide a small incremental improvement in scan quality, perhaps mostly by insuring a flat film which I can never quite get with taping, and a bit by reducing dust and scratch marks. Maybe it's just me, I really expected a big difference with wet mounting, or perhaps I'm not doing it quite optimally, but I was not that impressed with the difference compared to dry mounting ( this with a V700 scanner, if that matters when it comes to discerning small differences).
Still struggling,
Larry

Daniel Stone
23-Dec-2011, 11:08
these are what I've experienced since wet-mounting my film(although not everyone is the same):

better(cleaner) contrast, sharper scan w/ less "noise", less dust, minor scratches almost disappear(sometimes altogether), less apparent grain.

All in all, IMO, wet-mounting is the best way to go if you want to maximize your results out of ANY scanner capable of wet-mounting.

-Dan

ljsegil
23-Dec-2011, 16:15
Hi Daniel,
If I might ask, what is your wet mounting procedure? It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for me to be screwing mine up somehow.
Larry

sully75
23-Dec-2011, 16:38
you have to hunt around on here, but there's some videos (bone crushingly boring, but compete) of how to wet mount here:
http://www.aztek.com/kami_advantage.html

Daniel, what mounting stuff are you using? This Aztek stuff is not cheap...

Daniel Stone
23-Dec-2011, 17:56
When I was wet mounting on my epson 1680 I was using the aztek mylar and kami smf fluid.

I wet mount in the same fashion as in the aztek demo video linked above.

Dan

Linhof
23-Dec-2011, 21:57
Consider wet mount for my Epson V700 now. But does fluid used in the wet mounting process have any impact to films?

sully75
27-Dec-2011, 17:39
Dan does the Aztek stuff smell? I'm working in a little office next to my bedroom.

Daniel Stone
27-Dec-2011, 18:08
It does smell a bit, the drum cleaner smells more though, IMO.

DEFINITELY HAVE GOOD VENTILATION. Like work near an open window, or have a fan in a window(preferably) pointing outdoors to suck the air outwards.

-Dan

Tony Evans
28-Dec-2011, 12:24
I use the Scan Science stuff (Lumina). Most noticible improvement with my wet scanning is an increase in micro-contrast. (V700, BSH).