PDA

View Full Version : Bellows Care?

John Conway
21-Dec-2011, 15:05
I was wondering what I could apply to my bellows to keep it from drying out. Many things come to mind. But I think a spray on would be best. Some things that came to mind were Armorall or boot oil.

Louis Pacilla
21-Dec-2011, 16:20
Get some Ballistol. Spary the entire camera then let the ballistol sit a couple of minutes then wipe all off . Do this once or twice a year if needed. The smell bothers some. Kind of piney smell. I am a BIG believer. Fantastic on both.

Go to www.ballistol.com

BTW- Go to the web site and click on "Product uses" on the top menu bar. This will explain the unique qualities and WIDE uses of Ballistol. For one It has a different PH balance then most lubes and because of this It mixes with water instead of repelling it..

civich
21-Dec-2011, 16:45
I suppose it depends on what the bellows material is. I've got a Kodak Master 8x10 with the original bellows and I don't have a clue as to what the material is. On close exmination it has a slight grain so maybe leather? Ken Hough recommends Lexol for leather on Deardorffs. But the grain is so fine that it could be a synthetic - in which case 303 protectant is probably appropriate. In other threads on the same subject it seems every material has it's proponents and nay-sayers - Armorall seems particularly controversial.
-Chris

TheDeardorffGuy
21-Dec-2011, 19:21
There has been SOOOOOOoooo much written on bellows care in this group you should really do a topic search on it.

neil poulsen
21-Dec-2011, 21:35
It seems like this advice would apply to most cameras.

http://www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com/Care.htm

TheDeardorffGuy
22-Dec-2011, 17:23
Thanks Neil, It would be nice to know what camera he has........

It seems like this advice would apply to most cameras.

http://www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com/Care.htm

John Conway
23-Dec-2011, 18:08
The camera that I am concerned about is my Toyo 45A. The bellows seems to be leather and definitely on the dry side.

TheDeardorffGuy
23-Dec-2011, 19:51
lexsol. follow the bottles instructions.

The camera that I am concerned about is my Toyo 45A. The bellows seems to be leather and definitely on the dry side.

John Conway
23-Dec-2011, 19:55
Thank you very much for that information

E. von Hoegh
24-Dec-2011, 08:20
Lexol is good. I've been using pure neatsfoot oil (NOT neatsfoot oil COMPOUND!) on mine, a Deardorff V8 and a Linhof. I apply it very lightly with a cotton blob, dipped in the oil and squeezed out. Lexol has a good deal of water in it,so that may not be good for some glues in older bellows.

John Conway
24-Dec-2011, 08:45
Where would I be able to buy neatsfoot oil.

E. von Hoegh
24-Dec-2011, 08:50
McMaster-Carr had it last time I bought some.

TheDeardorffGuy
24-Dec-2011, 14:09
The shoe dept. in wal mart has it too. The water in lexsol has not yet hurt any of my leather belows glue. I have a New old stock 1929 V8. The bellows were in short VERY dry. Two years ago when I got it I could not open it. I put some lexsol in a spray gun and blasted the stuff in the folds. It got everywhere. I let it sit a week or so and sprayed again. Let it sit. When it stopped absorbing I waited a week more and then it opened up more or less fully. I then used pure neatfoot oil and waited, It finally will extend about 70percent of new. The folds are really stiff. I'm not ever going to use it so I'm not too concerned. But the combination worked well.

McMaster-Carr had it last time I bought some.

bobwysiwyg
24-Dec-2011, 14:47
Where would I be able to buy neatsfoot oil.

Could try a local hardware store, or if you have any establishments nearby that cater to the horsey set (saddles, boots, etc.) they will have some.

John Conway
25-Dec-2011, 10:47
Thanks for all the help, everyone.