PDA

View Full Version : need help in getting head on tripod

Geraldine Powell
21-Dec-2011, 12:19
Hello,
I have a manfrotto bogen 3046 and I have an old sinar pan-tilt head that I am trying to screw into it. I didn't have a screw for it, so I have tried various 3/8 inch bolts from the hardware store. Even when it screws in all the way the head still rotates freely. I have tried washers as well but it still swings around.
I don't know what it is that I need and I cannot find a parts list for the sinar pan-tilt head.

Just to make clear, it is the end that goes into the tripod that is giving me the problem.
I hope someone has an answer for me.

Joseph Dickerson
21-Dec-2011, 12:50
Hi,

Does the Sinar head meet with the plate on the center column or is there a gap?

If it does fit flush check to see if your tripod has the little recessed locking screws in the under side of the plate on the top of the center column. They are often missing on older tripods. If they are there get the head as tight as possible and then tighten the screws from underneath.

There should have been a 3/8 inch bolt protruding from the top of the center column. Is there only a threaded hole?

You could also try some Locktite.

Let us know how it goes.

JD

Richard Wasserman
21-Dec-2011, 13:15
I hate to ask, but do you have the pan knob on the head tightened?

Geraldine Powell
21-Dec-2011, 13:48
I do have the pan knob tightened though I am not offended by the question.
There is only a threaded hole in my manfrotto column-no protruding bolt. Maybe what I need is a 3/8 inch bolt with two ends, one to go in the tripod and one in the head.
The head does sit on the manfrotto without a gap but it is bigger than the column underneath.

Geraldine Powell
21-Dec-2011, 14:08
I think I know what the problem is. I don't have a mounting plate on the Bogen. I have been looking at diagrams of what I should have. I'll have to try to find one. It must have been removed when my ancient Gitzo head was put on.

joselsgil
22-Dec-2011, 00:29
elenor,

Could you post a photo of the top of your tripod? Are you missing the aluminum base plate?

Jose