PDA

View Full Version : Confused with HP Z3100ps Print Driver

wbensonca
20-Dec-2011, 18:15
Hi folks, new to the forum and although I've searched for an answer I may have missed something (in which case I apologize).

In the past I have used Epson 44" printers and Canon 44" printers professionally. After selling our print business I wanted something for 'hobby' use, so I bought a lightly used HP z3100ps (thought I'd give this brand a try, and in Canada it's a lot harder to get what you want in the secondary market). I really appreciate the HP's ability to profile media without the need to use separate software/hardware.

HOWEVER, having said that, I am completely baffled with the HP Print Driver, and in particular just can't seem to find the secret to setting up new paper sizes for roll media. I am used to using the W x H convention, so for a 24" wide by 10" I tried to create a paper size of 24x10. BUT, no matter what I do it seems to prohibit me from making the width a larger number than the height and automatically switches the dimensions.

If anyone knows the 'secret' ingredient I'd be extremely appreciative. Thanks for looking.

Peter Mounier
20-Dec-2011, 19:58
Are you accounting for the margins? If you have a 24" wide roll of paper, the widest your image size can be is 23.6" if you print it horizontally, since the printer needs .2" on the sides and top. The bottom needs .67". Even when you're printing on a roll, you have to input the margins in the print set up dialogs for all 4 sides, so if you reduce the image size to accommodate the margins, your image size would have to be 9.13"x23.6", and the paper size would be 10"x24".
I have the Z3100 but not the ps version.
Mine has never automatically switched direction, but I do get an alert that the image is larger than the paper when I set it up wrong.

Peter

Richard Wheat
20-Dec-2011, 20:16
For width greater than height you have to print in landscape - just reverse the dimensions in the paper setttings and use it landscape.
HTH,
Richard.