PDA

View Full Version : Kaiparowits Plateau, Utah

Steve Sherman
23-Oct-2003, 20:04
Has anyone photographed in the Kaiparowits Plateau area just outside of Page, AZ. I understand there are some standing rock formations and other interesting erosion. Would like some driving directions to above locations. Thanks in advance

Marco Frigerio
24-Oct-2003, 06:25
If you follow the Wahweap Creek for 4 miles you'll find the "White Hoodoos" (the ones photographed by Fatali: http://www.fatali.com/gallery/nr/Madonna.html ), check the BLM Office in Big Water, they have free maps and useful advices...not exactly in the Kaiparowits Plateau, but there is another interesting location just in front of the Paria Wilderness BLM Office: here there is a wild area where you can find the Paria Rimrocks, they are relatively easy to find but it's not so evident where to park the car and begin hicking, so you'd better ask to the Paria Wilderness BLM rangers, they'll show you the exact location or check this site: http://www.ckfoto.com/Paria%20Rimrock.htm...I assume that you have already explored the Coyote Buttes and the Paria Wilderness... Ciao Marco

Mark_3632
26-Oct-2003, 17:45
What are you looking for and when do you need the information? My father-in-law lives in page and he has dragged me all over the place. He can probably tell how to get to specific places. He is in Victoria Bc right now because his mom died but will be back next weekend.

The whole are is beautiful. With many a strange shaped rock to look at it is often hard to choose what to shoot. Get a hiking book or stop at the different BLM or ranger stations. They can help and all seem to be really nice, at least the ones I have talked to.

Steve Sherman
26-Oct-2003, 18:17
Thanks Marco and Mark, Mark, I have been to the Page area dozens of times, each time I discover new areas. I will leave the east coast on November 5th and spend a week in the area. I have heard of places like this, most probably the exact spot Marco has eluted to. Any other areas with weird forms of erosion will always be worth a side trip. Thanks to both of you for your time.

Mark_3632
27-Oct-2003, 16:05
I'll see what he can tell me before you leave.