PDA

View Full Version : JandC Classic Film 400 vs. 200

Bruce E. Rathbun
23-Oct-2003, 18:01
Hello All,

I have a question concerning the JandC Classic film. I am looking to find a film that I can use both in 11"x14" and 8"x20". One of the better choices seems to be the Classic film from JandC. My big question is how much difference is there between the 200 and the 400 flavors? I can see a large difference in the reciprocity of the two. Beyond that is there any major difference other then speed. I wonder if the choice of developer makes a difference as well. Any input is welcome.

lee\c
23-Oct-2003, 22:21
I am not much of an expert but have used the JCC 200 shot at 100 and processed in PMK with pretty results. Friends have been using the Pyrocat HD formulated by Sandy King with outstanding results. Most of these guys are ULF types and their results seem better than ok. The only gripe I have is that their website is somewhat confusing if they are out of stock. It won't tell you that, it just will not allow you check out any of the item. Not being a smart guy it took an email and explanation from John. BTW, they are still out of 4x5 JCC200 and they are closed for the week this week. The other item is that the film has a paper separator between each sheet of film. I found most of them. I ruined 5/6 sheets of the first box. I found them and thought that I had removed them but no! I will order more in the future.

good luck,

leec

Paul Moshay
24-Oct-2003, 01:35
<<The other item is that the film has a paper separator between each sheet of film. I found most of them. I ruined 5/6 sheets of the first box. I found them and thought that I had removed them but no! >> Lee, is that what is meant by a "paper negative"? ;-) Paul

Doremus Scudder
24-Oct-2003, 02:40
Paul,

Like the BPF films, these films have a thin paper sheet separating each film. When loading into holders, one must be careful to remove the paper interleaf. Otherwise, you can load it into the holder on top of the film which effectively blocks all light from reaching the film surface. I've done this exactly once, but it was still aggravating!

Regards

Carl Weese
24-Oct-2003, 06:24
Has anyone tested these films for producing long scale negatives suitable for Pt/Pd printing? What's the filmbase-plus-fog level like? Has anyone been using it long enough to see if it is consistent from batch to batch? ---Carl

Tim Curry
24-Oct-2003, 07:02
Check the comments on michael&paula.com in their azo forum. There is a lot of information available about processing and use for different printing (other than regular enlarging). I've found it to be a very nice film to work with. It has the ability to deliver a high contrast negative and be stretched in processing to meet many needs. A very good film from n- to n+ development. Responds well to pyro developers.

phil sweeney
24-Oct-2003, 07:09
I inquired about these films and was advised the 400 is like Tri-X and the 200 is a thick emulsion film.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Oct-2003, 07:43
When I tried ClassicPan 400 (=Fortepan 400=J&C Classic 400) about a year ago, I found that it didn't come close to having the density range of Tri-X. It was also on a thinner base and scratched easily.

Mirko Boeddecker from FotoImpex e-mailed me back in June that they were planning to improve the density range, but I don't know whether the new and improved version is out yet. He did say that the 200 had been improved in this regard. I think these films have to be tested and viewed on their own terms and comparisons to other films are bound to be misleading. While it is true that these films come from a former Kodak plant, I don't think that it is safe to assume that the emulsions are unchanged since the 1950s when Kodak sold off the plant.

Tim Curry
24-Oct-2003, 08:03
Sorry, my post was in reference to the J&C 200. Wasn't specific enough. tim

Jim_3565
24-Oct-2003, 08:05
I haven't tried the JandC 400, but if density is what you're after, try Efke PL100. It'll get a lot denser than JandC 200 before plugging. JandC also sells this film.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Oct-2003, 09:09
(I'm actually testing Efke PL100 right now).

Matthew Hoag
24-Oct-2003, 14:12
David et. al.: This breaks from the original post... I have ordered my first batch of PL100 and will also be doing some testing with ABC. The less testing the better IMHO. What developer are you using? If it is ABC, I have read that it develops very quickly at the standard dilution of 1:1:1:7 and that a dilution of 2:1:1:15 is better but lowers effecive film speed. Did you find that? Also is there a reciprocity chart in the film box? Does it seem accurate I know the BPF reciprocity chart doesn't jive with rating the film other than at 200.

Thanks for any insight you might have. I'd also like your opinion on how the Efke film prints.

Cheers

Matthew

Francis Abad
24-Oct-2003, 15:35
I use Pyrocat HD for JC 200 and Efke PL 100. I use both 1:1:100 and 2:2:100 dilutions depending on how wide the contrast range of the scene is and whether I prefer the scene for silver or for PtPd. For my purposes, I find the normal time for these films in the 2:2:100 dilution to be about 6 min - 6 min 30 secs. I highly recommend this combination for up to N-2 dev't (the negatives seem to my eyes to have a glowing quality to them). For more than that I use PF TFX-2.

By the way, when loading your holders make sure the number of interleaving sheets (in both JC 200 and Efke PL 100) equals the number of holders loaded divided times two.

Important note: be gentle with Efke PL 100 as it is fragile and prone to scratches. Not so with JC 200 (I have exposed about 50 and no scratch yet).

Bruce E. Rathbun
24-Oct-2003, 20:22
Thanks to all that replied. I took the advice of Tim and checked on the Azo forum. There are many good opinions out there. Looks like 200 is more of what I am looking for. Thanks again.

lee\c
26-Nov-2003, 12:21
Lee, is that what is meant by a "paper negative"? ;-) Paul

Paul, Sorry to get back so late in the thread. Unfortunately this is not the case. :^). Wish it were so.

It is nice film, Have nearly a lifetime supply of PMK Pyro part A and I want to use it up before moving on to something else. Most probably Pyrocat-HD.

leec

robert_4927
9-Mar-2005, 04:34
Bruce I just developed the first neg of JandC 400. In contact printing speed will trump grain every time, this film is a full three stops faster than the Efke pl 100. I made the mistake of rating it at 200 . Rate this film at full emulsion speed. This confirms the test that Sandy King has run on this film. This film has very good expansion qualities and should print well. I'm testing with pyrocatHD and w2d2+. This time at full emulsion speed. I too like the Efke Pl 100 and this Jand C 400 looks like a winner where more film speed is needed. I will let you know the next test results. This film will work very well for pt/pd densities. A D.R. of 1.5 is easily obtainable as is a higher D.R. of around 1.8 or so for azo ( i don't use azo so the D.R. for it i know little about) I've already pushed the density range way past that by mistake. well worth giving this film a try Bruce. It is available in all formats. I am also trying to find a film for 8x20 that I can stick with. AS you already know there is not a lot of choices for us ULFers. But this film shows a lot of promise. It reminds me a little of the old tri-x