PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Super angulon 65mm f 5.6 on a linhof master technika

babak
18-Dec-2011, 14:17
I wonder if anyone has experience with the super angulon 65mm f 5.6 MC on a Linhof MT.
I shoot mostly landscapes and have only just started in LF. I have been offered a 65mm on a linhof board with a focusing device.
My questions are

Does this lens work for landscape
how much movement can I get
is the center filter essential
How much should I pay for this item (center filter not included)

Babak

RawheaD
18-Dec-2011, 14:36
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html

RawheaD
18-Dec-2011, 14:37
'course, prices in that chart would need to be updated...

babak
19-Dec-2011, 05:19
Thanks Rawhead

Had a look at the list but as you say it is a bit dated.

B

Andrew
31-Dec-2011, 17:44
I have a 65/5.6 SA and a Master Technika and I think there's two ways the combination works...

first is have the lens on the linhof wide angle focus device. I have the device but I don't use it because it leaves the bellows so compressed that you have zero movements [other than focus]

second method, which I do use, is to mount the lens on an ordinary flat lens board, leave the front standard on the short rails inside the camera body and pull the back out about 2cm. I use a couple of short lengths of finished wood to make sure the back starts out parallel to the body. In this conformation you can focus by moving the front standard backwards and forwards on the internal rail and there's just enough laxity in the bellows that you can get limited movements... not convenient but it works.

Ball park for the movements, with the camera in a neutral position: I get about 10 degrees of swings or tilts front and back. About 5mm rise or right shift and less for left shift. The rise and shift are limited my camera components hitting each other not by bellows restriction. [The rise mech on my camera has been modified and it hits the camera body with ~ 2mm left shift but you might get 4 or 5mm left shift with the original mechanism?] Effectively you could get more rise/shift by pointing the camera at the subject and using the swings to reconstitute the standards into a parallel alignment. The swings and tilts aren't as restricted as you might predict.

You might get less of each movement with combinations and it's inconvenient working inside the camera body but I think there's enough there for most landscape work given that you don't generally need much movement with such a short lens.

But I would not rely on this camera/lens combination for architecture where you'd be better off with a different camera and bag bellows. My opinion.

ljsegil
1-Jan-2012, 11:49
I use a Schneider 58/5.6 SAXL on a helical focusing mount without the short focus device on my Master Technika. It is a very nice setup that requires no special acrobatics other than dropping the bed (the front standard is on the short track in the camera housing). I can get some rise and minimal tilt, but not too much of either, although given the FOV and DOF of the lens I have not felt the need for major movements. Focusing is very simple with the helical focus mount.
Larry

Bill_1856
2-Jan-2012, 13:09
I wonder if there are two versons of this lens? My only experience was in the 1970s, and the SA 65mm didn't come close to covering 4x5.

rdenney
3-Jan-2012, 07:34
I wonder if there are two versons of this lens? My only experience was in the 1970s, and the SA 65mm didn't come close to covering 4x5.

There are two versions of the 65mm Super Angulon, of course, one in f/8 (a 6-element lens) and the other in f/5.6 (an 8-element lens). Coverage for the f/8 is 100 degrees, and 105 degrees for the f/5.6. The f/8 version was probably still available into the 70s.

My 65/8 SA is much older than my f/5.6--maybe late 50's for the f/8 (chrome barrel) versus early or mid-70s for the f/5.6 (black barrel with two chrome stripes). The f/8 lens covers 4x5, though barely. With its center filter, which is not installed in a step-up ring the way most Schneider center filters are, coverage is shaved a bit. The f/5.6 provides abundant coverage, though not abundant room for movements, and its center filter does not affect coverage at all.

Rick "who checked the f/8's coverage just yesterday" Denney

jb7
3-Jan-2012, 07:47
Maybe you were thinking of the 65mm Angulon?
My 1960 SA 65mm f/8 covers 4x5 right out to the corners; I checked again some weeks ago, the last time someone questioned the coverage ...

Cor
5-Jan-2012, 05:13
I used my 65/f5.6 on my ancient Technika III, it was mounted in a helical focusing mount, the front standard would stay inside the "box" on the short rail, and the back would be out for about 1 cm, not too handy but it worked (in landscape orientation, in portrait the dropped bed came in the image).

I recently "upgraded" to a Linhof Color, which is quite handy for wide angel lenses, although I did buy a recessed board to be able to squeeze out a bit of movement.

I think I will sell my helical focusing mount (PM me should you be interested)

Best,

Cor

virg_2017
2-Nov-2017, 08:43
I use a Schneider 58/5.6 SAXL on a helical focusing mount without the short focus device on my Master Technika. It is a very nice setup that requires no special acrobatics other than dropping the bed (the front standard is on the short track in the camera housing). I can get some rise and minimal tilt, but not too much of either, although given the FOV and DOF of the lens I have not felt the need for major movements. Focusing is very simple with the helical focus mount.
Larry

"Hi ljsegil, did you use the Schneider focus mount for the 58/5.6 SAXL? Also, did you attach the focus mount to a semi-recessed lens board? Thanks for any additional info/pic. Virgil"

gary mulder
3-Nov-2017, 03:18
"Hi ljsegil, did you use the Schneider focus mount for the 58/5.6 SAXL? Also, did you attach the focus mount to a semi-recessed lens board? Thanks for any additional info/pic. Virgil"

This is how I use a 58/5.6 SAXL on a Linhof Master

http://garymulder.nl/aff/SAxl_58.jpg

Neal Chaves
3-Nov-2017, 19:52
You can cut down a 75mm cam to work with the 65 in a recessed board, bed dropped, horizontal position. For a viewfinder, use a 20mm finder from 35mm camera.