PDA

View Full Version : best polish for scanner drums

Andrea Gazzoni
18-Dec-2011, 08:45
this is a crosspost, also on Scan hi-end group.

Hi, any advice on what polish to use on drums?
For Scanmate's I have been addressed to Slipoline, made in Denmark.
Any other source?

thank you
Andrea

Uri A
22-Dec-2011, 19:14
I have no way to guarantee the results, but any quality auto-plastics polish, such as this (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4728) will surely do a fine job.

I use something similar to polish my motorcycle helmet visors when they get scratched, and they come up like new.

Daniel Stone
22-Dec-2011, 20:38
Uri,

I wouldn't use that. Aztek sells a drum polishing kit:

http://store.aztek.com/servlet/-strse-213/Drum-Care-Polish-Kit/Detail

Andrea:

Be aware, too much "polishing" is a BAD thing. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail(very carefully), then it CANNOT be polished out. The "polishing kit" is really only for minute scratches.

If you're dry mounting, I think you'll have more of a problem. Wet mounting basically removes all the tiny scratches/cleaning marks in the drum. If they're there, I don't see them in my scans.

-Dan

Andrea Gazzoni
23-Dec-2011, 15:23
Dan, I am planning to use it to solve a halo issue.
One of my drums developed this halo and it can't be white calibrated no more.
I have used the dedicated Scanview polish but I suspect I have applied too much pasta or something was wrong in my workflow, the halo is still there.
Even if I clean with Kami Drum Cleaner the halo is somewhat visible here and there.
I will try with Slipoline as suggested by ABC Scan.

Any suggestion? Ammonia-free glass cleaners? Cleaning inside the drum too as a routine?

Steven Tribe
24-Dec-2011, 10:27
Slipoline is a standard automobile fine polishing and sealing material - basically made for auto lacquer when it starts to get degraded by sunlight. It is reccommended by ABC Scan because it has a wide availability in Scandinavia. Probably other fine "polishing" pastes would be just as suitable.