PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get an 84mb digital file printed?

Wade Guisbert
18-Dec-2011, 06:34
I scanned a 4X5 slide, and it is 84mb. I tried to send it to Adorama, but 60mb is the largest file size they accept.

Any suggestions as to where I can send this jpeg file to get printed?

bob carnie
18-Dec-2011, 06:43
Any photolab or inkjet vendor can handle this, look for Chromira, LightJet or Lambda labs.
they all will be able to help you.

Walter Calahan
18-Dec-2011, 07:14
http://www.dodgechrome.com/

Frank Petronio
18-Dec-2011, 08:08
Why not adjust it to be a smaller file size and send them a 60mb file?

An Epson desktop printer and nice photo paper will do, 84mb is not that large these days.

Lenny Eiger
18-Dec-2011, 12:35
I scanned a 4X5 slide, and it is 84mb. I tried to send it to Adorama, but 60mb is the largest file size they accept.

Any suggestions as to where I can send this jpeg file to get printed?

My prices are not Adorama prices. However, that's a tiny file. 4x5's around here are 1.75Gigs. To get everything, I would increase the scan resolution considerably.... and then find a printer, rather than a service, unless you are happy with getting whatever you get...

Best of luck,

Lenny

Preston
18-Dec-2011, 17:35
To get everything, I would increase the scan resolution considerably.... and then find a printer, rather than a service, unless you are happy with getting whatever you get...

Definitely!

If you really do need to use a service, have them make a small print, say 8x10, as a proof. You can then tweak the master image file to get it looking the way you want, create a duplicate of your master and then size it to your final print size at the resolution (dpi) needed by the service.

Be sure your file is flattened, converted to the appropriate color profile, and any alpha channels removed. AFAIK, the Chromira does not recognize layers or alpha channels, and the file must be 8-bit.

You might try Aspen Creek, a division of West Coast Imaging. I haven't used them, I use WCI for prints I cannot make at home, but I have heard good things.

--P

Steve M Hostetter
24-Dec-2011, 05:17
Matrix imaging Indianapolis

Gene McCluney
24-Dec-2011, 10:33
You didn't say if your saved file was a jpg or a tiff? If it is a tiff, In photoshop, after opening the image you can "save as" a jpg, and get a considerably smaller file size with no loss of printing quality if you don't enlarge or reduce the final jpg file in printing size. When you use the "save as" protocol, a new file is created in the new format of your choosing, not overwriting the original, so you then have 2 files on your computer, the original and the new jpg file. I regularly have clients convert their files to jpgs to send me to print, so the file can be sent over the internet with relative ease.