PDA

View Full Version : What is the finest-grained LF color negative film?

chris jordan
23-Oct-2003, 11:48
Hey guys, I have a narrow question here-- please let me know if you have any specific information on this subject. I'm trying to find out what is the sharpest, finest-grained LF color negative film on the market. Thanks,

~cj

Sal Santamaura
23-Oct-2003, 12:33
Chris, whether you're asking about 4x5 or 8x10, there are only a few slower (i.e. sharp and fine-grained) choices I'm aware of.

*Tungsten: Fuji NPL and Kodak Portra 100T

*Daylight: Fuji NPS, Kodak Portra 160 NC and 160 VC

Since Fuji specifies RMS granularity and Kodak uses its Print Grain Index (PGI), one cannot compare manufacturers' graininess information directly. Within the Kodak films, Portra 100T has the lowest PGI, followed by 160NC and 160 VC in that order. Fuji specifies RMS 4 for both NPL and NPS.

In the sharpness arena, I can't find a Portra 100T MTF chart. MTF curves for the other four emulsions look very similar. Kodak provides them by color layer and Fuji presents a single combined curve. Break points and slopes are extremely close in all cases.

Hopefully someone else here has used combinations of these films and can share first-hand observations comparing them. Barring that, they're probably pretty similar in sharpness/grain, and your selection will likely be driven by the particular 'look' you prefer after trying a 10-sheet 4x5 box of whichever ones you narrow it down to. Hope to see the results in another View Camera article sometime soon!

Henry Ambrose
23-Oct-2003, 16:47
Its pretty much a toss up between NPS and Portra 160 as far as I can tell. NPS is less contrasty and seems to be cooler in color balance. Kodak seems warmer. Grain seems about the same. They are both nice films. I don't use the tungsten films.