PDA

View Full Version : Need Help to Find Specific Aguereberry Point Location

Richard K.
17-Dec-2011, 11:29
Last February I drove to Aguereberry Point to what I thought was the end of the road, parked and enjoyed the wonderful view of the Valley below along with a toast of Glenmorangie (this year it may be Talisker, Ardbeg or Lagavulin). What I was looking for though, was a specific view that includes some jaggedy rocks (partially shown in photo below). I didn't notice it in walking around but wonder if I should have continued in the car to the left and up? But, it looked somewhat precipitous! Can some kind forum denizen tell me where exactly to go? Thank you and see you there (approx. Feb. 20)!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/9745533.jpg

Jim Noel
19-Dec-2011, 09:32
I don't believe you will find this view w/o a walk. If my memory is correct, you need to park on the last loop of the road and walk in a generally southerly direction and down the mountain a short way. This is not an easy hike.

Richard K.
19-Dec-2011, 10:08
Thanks Jim; I think you may be right. Gotta get this sexagenarian body into better shape!

BrianShaw
19-Dec-2011, 10:15
... this sexagenarian body ...

Now ~that's~ something to brag about! :D

Kevin Crisp
19-Dec-2011, 10:16
There are some sharp rocks that you have to walk along/through, heading toward the valley. They start more or less at the edge of the parking lot where the sign is.

Richard K.
19-Dec-2011, 10:56
Now ~that's~ something to brag about! :D

Definitely not as sexy as it sounds!!! :rolleyes:

Richard K.
19-Dec-2011, 10:58
There are some sharp rocks that you have to walk along/through, heading toward the valley. They start more or less at the edge of the parking lot where the sign is.

I'm now wondering if I didn't drive far enough as I stopped at the first flat spot with a view of the Valley but the road seemed to continue to the left and up and I didn't notice the sign either! :confused:

Kevin Crisp
19-Dec-2011, 11:53
Well as you come up to the edge, there is a place to pull out. And I believe there is a green Sanican there. The road continues up to the left, but not for very far. It curles around and brings you to a wide open area that isn't quite the very top, but is in front of it. There is a big sign with some history at the edge of the parking lot. The rocks I was mentioning are behind it and continue toward the Valley.

Jim Graves
19-Dec-2011, 19:23
Don't know how helpful this is ... but if you go to Google Maps ... search for Aguereberry Point ... roll your cursor over the MAP symbol in the upper right and then click on PHOTO when it appears on the pop out menu, you will be able to access photos taken from specific locations.

Once the PHOTOS option is enabled, if you zoom all the way into Aguereberry Point, you'll see two photos that appear to show the shot you're interested in. They are in two relatively close positions to the NE of the end of the road turnaround that is described above.

Michael Gordon
20-Dec-2011, 07:28
Drive to the end of the road to where it is *no longer possible* to drive further. Get out of your car and look around. Hey, there it is! :D

It's that easy.

Jim Noel
20-Dec-2011, 08:38
Definitely not as sexy as it sounds!!! :rolleyes:

Just wait until you join those of us who are well into octogenarian.

Jim

Kevin Crisp
20-Dec-2011, 09:16
Park at 36 degrees 21.480N 117 degrees 2.880W. Then turn around.

Jeffrey Sipress
20-Dec-2011, 09:39
Whenever you are in a place like this, and the road goes on a bit further, always take it. There's usually a good reason it's there.

Drew Wiley
20-Dec-2011, 10:02
Someone might have already said it - but you walk up the path to the top and there's
sort of a ring-around trail around the rocks at the top. You need shoes with good traction and a realistic way to tote your gear on the path. The feature you have in mind is down the backside a bit, looking southeast towards Badwater. Fairly easy to locate.

Jim Galli
20-Dec-2011, 10:04
Take your 1/3rd chip pocket digicam with the 8mm lens to get this depth of field.

Richard K.
20-Dec-2011, 11:51
Just wait until you join those of us who are well into octogenarian.

Jim

I would LOVE to join such a group on a trip! Then everyone would call me "hey, young 'un"!! :) :D

Richard K.
20-Dec-2011, 11:53
Hey all, sincere thanks for all the totally groovy advice!! See you there!! :D