PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 sinar f2 first Lf camera and new here

muzamil choudhury
16-Dec-2011, 15:33
Hi I am based in the uk. In the city of Manchester. I was inspired by artists such as ,Gursky, struth , Andrew Moore , and other large format photographers. I now own a Sinar f2 180mm lens and going to hopefully start taking pictures which i am very excited about. I realise that there is allot to take in and many think to consider but want to learn. I just need to work on how to go about photography projects, getting out there and getting permission. Any tips would be great. Oh and I love film like portra and velvia. I do like b and w too so will start with that .
:)

Brian C. Miller
16-Dec-2011, 15:44
Welcome to the forum! Yes, there's lots to photograph when you have a large format camera. The home page has lots of tips and such, and there's lots of videos on YouTube about how to operate a view camera.

So welcome, and have fun!

Frank Petronio
16-Dec-2011, 16:50
Those are great solid cameras, you are starting out with proper gear.

If you can afford it, get a Sinar Pan Tilt Head to go with the camera, they mate with the rail clamp and are very secure.

Drew Wiley
16-Dec-2011, 17:19
That's a great choice of a camera for architecture as well as landscape work. Just take
your time and have fun with it and let your confidence grow. You won't regret it!

Alan Gales
16-Dec-2011, 20:08
Welcome to the club. I always recommend a monorail for a first camera and you've got yourself a good one! Do yourself a favor and get the Sinar Pan Tilt Head like Frank says. My Sinar P likes to spin on my Ries Head unless I overly tighten it. The Sinar head will solve this.

Alan Gales
16-Dec-2011, 20:12
That's a great choice of a camera for architecture as well as landscape work. Just take
your time and have fun with it and let your confidence grow. You won't regret it!

Drew, what are you talking about? Sinars are portrait cameras. Just ask Frank if you don't believe me! :D

Actually, Drew is correct but they also work equally well for portraits and still lifes!

muzamil choudhury
18-Dec-2011, 11:44
Thank you so much guys I feel allot better getting all this advice. Also that Sinar pan tilt mechanism looks like it helps with tilt movement. I will look into that. Any advice on how photographers go out and manage to photograph in interesting places like office buildings,factories, get people to pose for them. Is it just a matter of emailing and ringing these places as i have many ideas of places to photograph. :)