PDA

View Full Version : Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5 details

Mike Lease
15-Dec-2011, 08:00
I'm thinking about buying a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5 that appears to be in great shape but there just isn't much info on the web about these cameras. The few mentions in this forum all seem pretty positive from people who have/had them. Can anyone tell me the min and max bellows draw or the shortest and longest lenses that can be used (without resorting to a recessed lense board)? Also, I assume the vertical/horizontal orientation of the back can be changed, if so what is involved there. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Frank_E
15-Dec-2011, 08:16
I'm thinking about buying a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5 that appears to be in great shape but there just isn't much info on the web about these cameras. The few mentions in this forum all seem pretty positive from people who have/had them. Can anyone tell me the min and max bellows draw or the shortest and longest lenses that can be used (without resorting to a recessed lense board)? Also, I assume the vertical/horizontal orientation of the back can be changed, if so what is involved there. Thanks in advance for any responses.

The nagaoka came in two versions
the second version allowed a little more bellows draw
here is a link to some info on that camera

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/nagaoka_1.html

the first version which is discussed and pictured in this thread
has the rear standard attached to the camera differently and allows fewer movements

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83994&highlight=nagaoka

so you need to determine which version of the camera you are interested in to see the proper specs

Mike Lease
15-Dec-2011, 08:36
Frank, thanks for the quick response. The one I'm looking at is the same as the one in the brochure so that's exactly what I was looking for.

Michael Wynd
15-Dec-2011, 23:14
I used to have one. It was my first LF camera and was extremely light compared to most 4x5's including the Shen Hao I replaced it with. It is delicate and if you're not careful can be damaged easily. I know, I had a 400mm Komura Tele on it and the tripod head wasn't tightened enough and it fell forward, ripping two screws right out of the wood and tearing the wood extension in half. My fault for not tightening it enough.
The longest lens I used on it was the 400 tele. I could focus down to around 12 feet at full extension. The widest lens I had was an Angulon 90mm and it easily coped with that.
Hope this helps
Mike

Bill_1856
16-Dec-2011, 08:15
Great camera, not as "delicate" as some reports indicate. But just treat it with care.
The back easily changes from vertical to horizontal with a couple of sliding clips.
I think that you can use any wide angle lens down to 65mm without a recessed board, and the bellows probably limits you to 250mm with a normal range of focus.
It's a nice camera (I got mine in 1975).

Steve O
17-Dec-2011, 02:21
I bought a Nagaoka about two months ago and I'm very please with it indeed. I have found it to be pretty solid and contains all the movements I need for landscape work including rear tilt. There are no swings but I never used these anyway and my previous 4x5 Wista was considerably bulkier and heavier - 2.2kg v 1.2kg of the Nagaoka. I have also found the lens range more to my linking as it can accommodate my 65mm f8 Super right up to the 203mm Ektar which can be be focussed down to around 12"

All in all a great little camera which is absolutely ideal for carrying all day. The ground glass wasn't too bad either but I made a few of my own following the information given by others on the web, they worked out around £4 each including the polishing grit!

Steve

Bryan Lemasters
17-Dec-2011, 09:04
I bought a Nagaoka about two months ago and I'm very please with it indeed. I have found it to be pretty solid and contains all the movements I need for landscape work including rear tilt. There are no swings .......

Steve

Steve, if your camera looks like either of those linked to by Frank then you have both front and rear swings, although somewhat limited. On the left side of the cameraccentric link

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/nagaoka_1.html

scroll down to the third page and click to see an illustration of the camera w/ swings applied. To swing either of the standards, simply loosen the standard thumbscrews on one side only and slide that side fore or aft to swing the standard.

Dave Hally
18-Dec-2011, 17:31
I have an early Nagaoka 4x5 that looks like the Model II, but without the front swing. It does have crude rear swing. It was my first 4x5 camera, witha 165mm (IIRC) Kodak lens. Iwas able to pack all the camera gear except for the tripod in the tank bag on my BMW R90. Now I'm using a Chamonix.
FWIW
Dave