PDA

View Full Version : Dainippon Screen SG-737 vs Linotype Chromagraph S3300 drum scanner comparison

guphoto
15-Dec-2011, 04:53
They are both beastly machines, capable of producing superior results, but I was informed that they weren't built to scan 16 bit colour due to software limitations. And sharpening is applied automatically with no way around it.

Does anyone have experience and knowledge with both drum scanners?

Will they produce satisfying results for large prints, especially for colour?

Many thanks!

James Beck
15-Dec-2011, 08:06
FWIW, I knew the SG-737 and its larger sibling SG-757. Back in the day, they were capable of fine scans, but you are talking about "old school" scanning. They will be 8bit output. Sharpening is adjustable all the way down to disabled. Like always, quality will be determined by what your scanning, what you consider is a good scan, who's scanning and the actual condition of the scanner.

Good luck,
Jim

federico9001
7-Feb-2012, 17:59
Forget them, they were excellent scanners in their days but limited to 8 bits.

To scan color negs a 16 bit drum scanner is needed.

I use a Dainippon Screen 8060 (16 bit), Dainippon's last flagship model:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/castorscan/5947338405/in/photostream

jars121
9-Feb-2012, 04:51
If you buy the Hi-End suite for the Heidelberg from Silverfast, the Chromagraph will do 16 bits. I currently run a Chromagraph s3400 with the original 8 bit software, but I've looked into the Silverfast suite, and that's one of the main advantages.

Sevo
9-Feb-2012, 04:58
If you buy the Hi-End suite for the Heidelberg from Silverfast, the Chromagraph will do 16 bits.

What from? Usually, bit depth restrictions are due to the A/D converter's limits in the scanner - while it may save an extra step if the scan software can save its corrections at a higher depth, you might just as well save without alterations and do any correction in Photoshop.

SURF
9-Feb-2012, 05:17
Forget them, they were excellent scanners in their days but limited to 8 bits.

To scan color negs a 16 bit drum scanner is needed.

I use a Dainippon Screen 8060 (16 bit), Dainippon's last flagship model.

Don't be too proud. There is no difference between 8 bit and 16 bit highres scans on real films. 16 bits are needed only for small blurry images.

If you need 16 bit from 8 bit highres scanner it is easy: scan 8 bit highres --> convert to 16 bit ---> reduce = Now you have nice 16 bit image.

8x10 user
9-Feb-2012, 10:01
It depends on how well you correct the image during the scanning stage. A perfectly correct 8 bit scan can be very high quality, but if you have to make drastic changes in post then it is going to seriously effect the integrity of the image.