PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a Fuji NW or CM-W

Steve Hamley
14-Dec-2011, 17:07
Folks,

I've seen and read most of the literature out there on Fujinon lenses including the Fujinon lens page and Kerry's pages. But I have a specific question, and that is:

Were all the Fujinon CM-W lenses marked as such, as in the attached jpeg? In other words, did all have the "CM" on the barrel as in the jpeg?

I'm looking at 180mm lenses in particular.

This one for example, seems clearly a NW, smaller filter size, "coarse" Copal shutter, and EBC coated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujinon-W-180-mm-f-5-6-EBC-Multicoated-Copal-C-Shutter-Excellent-Condition-/270871782497?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f11376461

Now, the Fujinon page says both the "NW" and the "CM-W" use 67mm filters, and we know from forum posts that filter sizes on the NW varied, and in some cases three different filter sizes were used.

So, is this one a "NW" or a "CM-W"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-Fujinon-W-180mm-f-5-6-Lens-w-Copal-1-Linhof-Board-Near-Mint-Fuji-/280785632550?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item416020bd26

It would appear to be a CM-W, but doesn't have the "CM" on the barrel.

Did they use the "CM" designation in different markets perhaps?

Cheers, Steve

BradS
14-Dec-2011, 17:12
I don't know why it matters. For what ever it is worth, neither of the lenses in the eBay links are CM-W. The one in the black copal shutter appears to be the very late version - just prior to the CM-W designation.

Are there significant differences between the late Fujinon-W and the CM-W (other than the obvious, 67mm filter for the shorter focal lengths).

Steve Hamley
14-Dec-2011, 17:28
Yes, if you check the Fujinon lens pages you'll find that coverage is not the same.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm

Going from the "NW" series to the "CM-W" series:

the 125mm increased coverage and went from 6/6 to 6/5;

the 135mm increased coverage and was 6/6 both;

the 150mm is about the same which is not logical given the stated angle of coverage, and is 6/6 both;

the 180mm decreased and went from 6/6 to 6/5; and

the 210mm increased marginally, 6/5 both versions.

Cheers, Steve

BradS
14-Dec-2011, 17:32
I imagine that Fuji did a mild re-design for the CM-W line. Perhaps, Like Schneider's transition from 'APO Symmar' to 'APO Symmar-L' there were external factors involved in the decision. Schneider sites the need to change to an environmentally friendlier glass for example.

Anyway, the comparison you provide above is interesting. Thanks.

Steve Hamley
14-Dec-2011, 17:45
It is. It makes one wonder if there are errors in the list. It isn't common for a manufacturer to decrease coverage. Also. if you take the list verbatim, it almost means Fuji mechanically vignetted some of their lenses during the change.

Cheers, Steve

Anyway, the comparison you provide above is interesting. Thanks.

BradS
14-Dec-2011, 18:00
Hmmm...upon closer inspection , I think that I'd take the data in that chart with a grain of salt. I only looked a few lines but, some of the image circle numbers are clearly inconsistent with the associated angle of coverage.

Steve Hamley
14-Dec-2011, 18:31
Yes they are!

Cheers, Steve

Hmmm...upon closer inspection , I think that I'd take the data in that chart with a grain of salt. I only looked a few lines but, some of the image circle numbers are clearly inconsistent with the associated angle of coverage.

Gem Singer
14-Dec-2011, 18:31
Steve,

The first Fuji lens 180 on eBay, in a Copal silver ring shutter, is an older NW.

The second Fuji lens 180 on eBay, in a Copal black ring shutter, is a newer W.

Both lenses are EBC multi- coated, as indicated by the lettering on the outside of the lens barrel.

Neither one is a latest version CM-W.

Fuji CM-W lenses are clearly marked on the outside of the lens barrel. The "CM" is yellow, and the "W" is in white lettering.

Steve Hamley
14-Dec-2011, 18:45
Gem,

Thanks! That's basically what i wanted to know; that all CM-Ws are marked as such.

However, your second statement "... is a newer W" I take to mean a newer "NW"?

Cheers, Steve

Gem Singer
14-Dec-2011, 19:05
Steve,

As far as I can ascertain, when Fuji began to EBC multi-coat their lenses, the EBC coated lenses were referred to as the "NW" series in the literature. However, they were labeled "W" on the outside of the lens barrel and were mounted in silver ring Copal shutters.

When Fuji began to use black ring Copal shutters, they dropped the "NW" in the literature and began to refer to those lenses as the "W" series.

All "CM-W" lenses are EBC coated and mounted in black ring Copal shutters.

Steve Hamley
14-Dec-2011, 19:14
Gem,

Thanks much.

I understand the last sentence, but the first is incomplete; Fuji clearly did not use the all black shutter for the entire NW series, and is the only distinguishing feature of the newer CM-W lens the "CM" designation on the barrel?

Maybe not incomplete; I just want to understand from those more knowledgeable than I.

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

When Fuji began to use black ring Copal shutters, they dropped the "NW" in the literature and began to refer to those lenses as the "W" series.

All "CM-W" lenses are EBC coated and mounted in Copal black ring shutters.

Gem Singer
14-Dec-2011, 20:08
Steve,

Copal made the shutters. Fuji Photo made the lenses.

Copal started to make their shutters with black shutter speed rings. Evidentally, Fuji still had a few of the older "NW" lenses and mounted them in the all-black Copal shutters. In the Fuji literature, the were referred to as the "W" series.

Fuji did not print the "NW" connotation on their lens barrels, even though they were called "NW' in the Fuji literature.

However, Fuji did print the "CM-W" connotation on all lenses of that series.

Gem Singer
14-Dec-2011, 20:17
Steve,

See: www.willwilson.com/fujinon.html

Perhaps that chart will help to explain the different series of lenses that Fuji made.

Note the differences in the angle of coverage of the various lens series.

Steve Hamley
14-Dec-2011, 20:21
Gem,

Yep, understand that.

Steve,

Copal made the shutters. Fuji Photo made the lenses.

Thanks!

Evidentally, Fuji still had a few of the older "NW" lenses and mounted them in the all-black Copal shutters. In the Fuji literature, the were referred to as the "W" series.

That's the good stuff! Thanks,

However, Fuji did print the "CM-W" connotation on all lenses of that series.

Cheers, Steve

Steve Hamley
14-Dec-2011, 20:22
Or not! :D

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

See: www.willwilson.com/fujinon.html

Perhaps that chart will help to explain the different series of lenses that Fuji made.

Note the differences in the angle of coverage of the various lens series.