PDA

View Full Version : Buying a camera from Japan?

John Conway
14-Dec-2011, 15:14
A few pieces have come up on ebay that I was interested in but I have not as of yet purchased anything on ebay from Japan. I guess if the feedback is good it should be fine. Anyone ever have a problem with a non US purchase?

John Koehrer
14-Dec-2011, 17:44
I've bought two LF lenses from two different vendors, prices were good, items were clean and shipping was fast.

banjo
14-Dec-2011, 18:04
I got a VH Horseman, Horseman roll film holder, Wista roll film holder, &
2 Horseman Lens

GOOD LUCK SO FAR from 3 different vendors

mortensen
14-Dec-2011, 23:59
I think you could generally trust japanese vendors more than most others - if you've been to the country you'll know why. Customs will most probably be an issue, but i guess you have already calculated with that.

My ebay problems have always been with individuals, not nationalities...

Cesar Barreto
15-Dec-2011, 00:22
I've several items bought from japanese vendors and just have nice words towards them. But Mortensen of course has a good point about nationalities.

Ken Lee
15-Dec-2011, 05:15
What happens with US Customs when you purchase from a dealer ? Do they hold the item and demand a fee ?

When I've purchased from individuals, they did not: the item went to me with no interruption.

mortensen
15-Dec-2011, 05:42
Well, I'm in Denmark, so I can't speak of US regulations, but here... customs always snatches any outside-EU purchase and then adds a solid 30% charge - 25% VAT (even though you buy used goods) + a 5% fee just to annoy you a little extra.

all the talk about globalization suddenly seems a bit hollow, you know...

Brian Ellis
15-Dec-2011, 09:06
What happens with US Customs when you purchase from a dealer ? Do they hold the item and demand a fee ?

When I've purchased from individuals, they did not: the item went to me with no interruption.

AFAIK the fees, duties, taxes, tariffs, etc. are always collected by the carrier at the time the item is delivered to you, not by Customs itself, regardless of whether the seller is an individual or a dealer. At least that's what's always been done when I've purchased internationally and I've purchased from individuals and dealers (though not very often).

John Conway
21-Dec-2011, 14:31
Well, my camera arrived today from Japan. Excellent transaction without a glitch. I can't believe how fast they got it to my door. And it looks even better than it did in the pics.

Michael Clark
21-Dec-2011, 17:05
Well, my camera arrived today from Japan. Excellent transaction without a glitch. I can't believe how fast they got it to my door. And it looks even better than it did in the pics.
John, which mail service did they use to send your item from Japan ?

Mike

John Conway
21-Dec-2011, 17:34
Hey Mike, It was shipped through JAPAN POST SERVICE, JP Post on the box. The label is a US postal service Global Express Mail with an EMS marking on the same label. On the invoice, under carrier it says EMS. It wasn't cheap at 60.00. But well worth it because the price was great. I bought the camera on 12/17 and it was at my door this morning.

Michael Clark
21-Dec-2011, 18:37
That's fast, $60 is not bad when you consider the size and speed of delivery. Did they give a price on shipping before they sent it, or a choice of shipper?

Ari
21-Dec-2011, 18:50
EMS from Japan is remarkably fast.
I've bought a lot of gear out of JPN and it usually took 3-4 days to arrive.
In comparison, something from the US or even across Canada, say Vancouver, will take at least a week to arrive.

John Conway
21-Dec-2011, 18:53
Yes, the price was there. Basically, it was just like buying in the states. And, I must say, the purchase actually went smoother than many of the ebay purchases I made within the states. The funny thing was, there was no info or tracking number posted, even today, and then there it was like magic.

Michael Clark
21-Dec-2011, 19:27
I was always worried about any kind of import tax or duty that would rise the cost a lot.

Mike