PDA

View Full Version : Cheap lens for 16x20in

Łukasz Owsianka
14-Dec-2011, 15:07
Hi,

I am looking for a cheap or/and easy to find lens for 16x20in? It would be for photography on paper. Can anybody help?:D

erie patsellis
14-Dec-2011, 18:24
Kodak Anastigmat 21 1/4" is one of the lesser expensive lenses, I've had good experiences with a 19" RD Artar, a 360 Componon and a 210 6.8 Angulon as well (for contact printing purposes, at least)

johnielvis
15-Dec-2011, 12:08
use one of your existing shutters from another lens (copal 3 or BIGGEST shutter you got) and +1 diopter close up lens/meniscus...give you 1000 mm lens which should cover pretty good...just no "corrections"..but maybe none needed....

stop it down if you still get some shutter vignetting0--and to sharpen the image nicer...it works....hey--at least something to play with and get a feel for it, you know?

Jim Galli
15-Dec-2011, 12:41
Protar VII f12.5 23 1/8" focal length will cover 18X22 at smaller apertures with full correction and sharpness. These are usually sold combined with another Series VII lens to give a faster (f6.3 f7, f7.7) shorter focus lens. So if you buy a Protar VIIa that includes a 23 1/8" f12.5 element or a 27" element, you'd be good to go.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/bauschlomb_8.html

Jim Galli
15-Dec-2011, 21:48
Even cheaper. 26" or 28" element from a Turner Reich 8X10 triple convertible. Not as good as the Protar, but cheap cheap cheap.

benrains
15-Dec-2011, 21:54
I've used a Zeiss APO-Tessar 450mm f/9 on my 16x20 with good results.

Łukasz Owsianka
16-Dec-2011, 08:04
use one of your existing shutters from another lens (copal 3 or BIGGEST shutter you got) and +1 diopter close up lens/meniscus...give you 1000 mm lens which should cover pretty good...just no "corrections"..but maybe none needed....

stop it down if you still get some shutter vignetting0--and to sharpen the image nicer...it works....hey--at least something to play with and get a feel for it, you know?

Interesting, but will it work? I could order to make an achromatic doublet, but what parameter should it have?

johnielvis
17-Dec-2011, 09:34
ha HAAAAA...do I know the audience here or what?

just start with a regular diopter---walgreens cheaters if thy got them big enough lenses...tape to the back of a shutter and play...

doublets in long focal lengths start to get EXPENSIVE and small...better off getting a proper lens in that case....

anything you need will need LONG focal lengths and will, of course, necessarialy be slow

like i said...biggest shutter you got--or no shutter---just longest lens you can find, which is probably a diopter....if you stop it down enough it can surprise you....if you want to start getting sharper, I suggest a proper lens--no sense in re-inventing the wheel--you'll waste time and money and end up buying a proper lens anyways--besides--if it dont work out, you can always sell it--you'll have a hard time selling a homemade piece of crap...only one person I know of can do that.....

E. von Hoegh
17-Dec-2011, 10:03
Interesting, but will it work? I could order to make an achromatic doublet, but what parameter should it have?

You could take two achromats, say telescope achromats, and make your own Rapid Rectilinear. RRs perform well, you'd be able to make stellar contact prints.

Surplus Shed and Edmund Optical are two sources.

cdholden
17-Dec-2011, 10:17
You could take two achromats, say telescope achromats, and make your own Rapid Rectilinear. RRs perform well, you'd be able to make stellar contact prints.

Be careful what you buy. I noticed some of them have different and limited ranges of the spectrum.

Łukasz Owsianka
17-Dec-2011, 13:46

I was thinking about an aplanat design (Rapid Rectilinear) but I can not find any information how to do it...

Łukasz Owsianka
18-Dec-2011, 01:17
Or maybe periscope design... Do someone has got the knowledge how to do it and can help?