PDA

View Full Version : yosemite in January

ignatiusjk
13-Dec-2011, 18:05
Have anyone driven into Yosemite in January? I'm thinking of going in late January and was wondering what the drive is like at that time of the year.I'll be taking the 120 into the valley.

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Dec-2011, 18:19
You have to carry chains and be prepared for any type of winter weather. Great month to be in the park. It will be cold and hope for some snow. Great ULF weather and so few people.

Chris Wong
13-Dec-2011, 21:31
Yes, carry chains. Watch the weather reports and check the nps.gov website for road status for road closures. Have as a backup plan to go through highway 140 if highway 120 is closed. It will add some hours to the drive but at least you will make it into the valley. I learned that the hard way last year when I was within 30 miles of the 120 entrance and they closed the road. I had to go back down the hill and take highway 41 over to highway 140.

Preston
13-Dec-2011, 22:55
"I had to go back down the hill and take highway 41 over to highway 140."

Small correction: That would be Highway 49, rather than 41. At the community of Moccasin, you would bear right onto 49 to Coulterville and Mariposa. You would pick up 140 there.

--P

Chris Wong
14-Dec-2011, 10:27
Small correction: That would be Highway 49, rather than 41. At the community of Moccasin, you would bear right onto 49 to Coulterville and Mariposa. You would pick up 140 there.

--P

Thanks Preston, that's a big correction. I wouldn't want anybody getting confused and lost out there. Highway 49 was not a fun drive, too windy so now I go all the way down highway 99 to Merced and take highway 140 if there is any chance of highway 120 closing.

Preston
14-Dec-2011, 11:19
Chris,

I'm not a big fan of 49, either. It can be treacherous in the wind or rain. It's the best way to go for me if 120 is closed, however.

Even if 120 is open, and if it is icy or snow-covered, it can be real dicey going downhill from Crane Flat to the valley.

--P

dperez
14-Dec-2011, 12:01
Yep, chains.

Also, try to book ahead for accommodations. They have heated tents in the Valley, or even tents without any heating. You can also go the expensive route and stay in the Lodge. Another option would be one of the two motels in El Portal. You don't want to be heading back and forth between Yosemite and Oakhurst or some other town with more motel options, as it could easily add over an hour or more to your drive time with chains on.

Lon Overacker
14-Dec-2011, 13:36
....It will add some hours to the drive but at least you will make it into the valley.

This is true only if you've made it all the way to the Park entrance on 120 and had to turn around. If you're down in the San Joaquin Valley, say half way between 120 and 140, it's less than 15-20min difference in driving time. If 120 is requiring chains or even closed, 140 will most likely NOT be closed and you won't need chains (unless of course they are required but you won't need them until you get to the valley.) I don't know where you're driving from, but 140 is the easiest and most direct route in to Yosemite Valley, IMHO. You are required to carry chains regardless, as already mentioned.

January is a fantastic time to visit the valley. However, it's a crap shoot. If you have the flexibility, and if you can, watch the weather and leave on a moments notice or even a few days notice knowing a winter storm is passing. If temps are too high and it rains... raining in January with dirty snow, drab conditions is not fun in the Valley. Being there the morning after a winter storm covers the valley in snow, is heaven. But a roll of dice when planning things months in advance.

I hope you get great conditions!

Lon

Vaughn
14-Dec-2011, 13:49
My usual route in is Hwy 120 -- but if there is chance of significant ice, then up the Merced River is just as fast. And I like roads hike Hwy 49 in the winter. Interesting!

Could be some interesting weather in the Valley. Having chains with you is required in the Park in the Winter.

Have fun!

Vaughn

Drew Wiley
14-Dec-2011, 13:52
Slipping into the Valley just ahead of a cold storm is ideal. You almost have the place
to yourself, and if there's fresh powder, it's my favorite month to be there. Besides
chains I'd definitely bring snowshoes, ski poles, gaiters, and a Goretex snow suit, plus snow baskets for your tripod feet and a small plastic tarp for your loose gear or to sit on. But as already mentioned, the weather is very difficult to predict, as are highway conditions. The south entrance is a very slow slog unless you're going up to Badger Pass and Glacier Pt. I think it's easiest in Winter to go right up the canyon thru El Portal. Always call the road condition hotlines a day or two prior.

John Kasaian
15-Dec-2011, 10:42
I've taken 41 into the Valley many times in January. It all depends on the weather.
There is a bit of black ice that always seems to develop on 41 so go s-l-o-w if you take that route. In fact go s-l-o-w no matter which route you choose. The Valley in January won't disappoint (unless it floods or something and they close the gates)

Chris Wong
15-Dec-2011, 10:52
I've taken 41 into the Valley many times in January. It all depends on the weather.
There is a bit of black ice that always seems to develop on 41 so go s-l-o-w if you take that route. In fact go s-l-o-w no matter which route you choose. The Valley in January won't disappoint (unless it floods or something and they close the gates)

I would agree with John on the going slow part or at least stay within the posted speed limit on 120. I've seen on two occasions where there were vehicles laying on their sides and from talking to one of them it was just a matter of going a little too fast and the car just had a mind of its own and headed towards the snow bank and they did a slow roll. Also the park rangers seem to patrol the stretch from the entrance to the valley quite a bit.

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Dec-2011, 18:35
41 Black Ice never again! I had to get pulled out of a snow bank due to black ice and going just a bit to fast. take 140 in it is much safer and just drive slow.

dsphotog
15-Dec-2011, 23:26
Another vote for Hwy 140, I like Mariposa, always check road conditions, 140 is prone to closure due to rockslides.

John Kasaian
16-Dec-2011, 09:19
Studded snow tires help a lot and make having to use tire chains less likely much of the time. A good thing for this area is to prepare for wet and cold more than anything. The valley isn't that cold and you will often find getting soaked is more likely than not when walking around with gear.
If you are going to be photographing under trees have an umbrella for falling snow and water drops. Can also help as a partial windbreak if things get breezy. Warm socks like Wigwam Outlast(Merino Wool - keeps you warm even when wet) and good boots for the snowy conditions are worth having.
Tape the exposed metal areas of your tripod and you will have fewer problems with the cold metal when carrying and adjusting.

I could be wrong but I think studded tires are verboten in CA,

Drew Wiley
16-Dec-2011, 09:42
Correct. Studded tires are illegal here; and when they say chains, they mean chains,
no exceptions. Having grown up in the mtns I generally waited for the skier traffic to
clean the road by sliding hither and thither into the trees, then went up the hill afterwards. A few times overconfident Highway Patrolmen would also skid off black ice. The most freuqent accidents were from macho four-wheeler youngsters with their jacked-up trucks. Four wheels skid off the ice just as easy as two wheels. Besides
chains, sometimes the control points will mandate that you have a sleeping bag in
the car. Common sense.

Preston
16-Dec-2011, 11:43
Correct. Studded tires are illegal here

This is incorrect. Studded tires are allowed, with certain restrictions. Please see this section from the CA Vehicle Code (http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27454.htm).

I do not know if the NPS allows studded tires in lieu of chains in CA national parks.

In any event, being prudent and driving safely is the best way to stay out of trouble.

--P

Drew Wiley
16-Dec-2011, 12:16
Preston - since virtually all Sierra traffic involves considerable changes in altitude from
dry to icy, there's really no practical way to be legal with studded tires unless you change the tires themselves somewhere en route. The legal category of studs probably refers to Spikes Spiders like the CHP uses - those quickie tire booties. At least in my experience I've never seen permanently studded tires in use like they are in parts of Oregon. Maybe if the local highway patrolman recognized you as local resident in Truckee just going back and forth for groceries or something, but anyone passing thru is likely to raise an eyebrow and get stopped. In any event, at the foot
of some of the pass routes there are winter signs with the fine print on them. But
hitting dry pavement with studded tires is CERTAIN to fetch a ticket.

tgtaylor
16-Dec-2011, 12:36
The way things are shaping up you may not need chains or snow tires studded or not this season. All weather forecast models are DRY for the Sierra - the very opposite of last year's.

It's time to do a rain/snow dance around here!

Thomas

Preston
16-Dec-2011, 12:46
Drew,

Here is a direct exerpt from the CVC cited in my post above:

(e) (1) Pneumatic tires containing metal-type studs of tungsten carbide or other suitable material that are inserted or constructed so that under no condition will the number of studs or the percentage of metal in contact with the roadway exceed 3 percent of the total tire area in contact with the roadway, between November 1 and April 30 of each year. A vehicle may be equipped year-round with tires that have studs that retract pneumatically or mechanically when not in use, if the studs are retracted between May 1 and October 31 of each year. A tire on a vehicle shall not be worn to a point at which the studs protrude beyond the tire tread when retracted.

One would not be required to change out studded tires if they hit dry pavement, if the date is between November 1 and April 30. Here in Tuolumne county, lots of folks use studded tires during the winter months so that they don't have to stop to install/remove tire chains, unless the CHP requires chains on all vehicles.

A CHP or local LE may look at you funny if you use studded tires on dry pavement, but they legally cannot ticket you if you meet the requirements, as quoted above.

--P

Drew Wiley
16-Dec-2011, 15:01
Gosh ... A Patrolman pulling you over for anything, legit or not, is almost a guarantee of
some kind of ticket, even if they have to think about it a few minutes. Why tempt fate? Don't remember if I told you this story or not ... but I was coming back from Mt
Baldwin area on the east side after a backpack with a fellow who was a service dept mgr for a local Porsche dealer. Coming back down over Sonora Pass he noticed behind my truck a graphite fiber $700,000 Porsche of which he claimed only three were in the
entire USA. He wanted me to hear the sound of the engine. So I slowed down to about
forty the whole way down the hill just to get the guy all steamed up. When we finally
reached the two-lane passing zone, he punched it and probably accelerated over 90MPH still in second gear. At that exact spot a CHP was about to making a U-turn and
just sat there with his jaw wide open. Then he seems to have figured out that this was
the one chance of a lifetime to bag that rare bird and went for the ticket. I assume the
dude could afford it.

Drew Wiley
16-Dec-2011, 16:17
Well, instead of a diatribe, I guess what someone from out of the area needs to know
is that if chain control is in effect, it is chains that they need to carry, and that studded tires are not going to be a accepted substitute.