PDA

View Full Version : About to bite the LF bullet

jars121
13-Dec-2011, 00:07
G'day all,

I've decided to finally move into LF territory. I'm in the process of selling all my 35mm gear, with the hope of moving into a nice 4x5 view setup.

I've tentatively decided on the Sinar F2, as it seems to be quite a reliable piece of kit, with plenty of accessories available. I also quite like the look of the Horseman 450EM too, but they aren't as common.

Are there any other contenders that I should be looking at? From my limited research, the F2 seems to fetch around about $500 in minty condition on eBay. One sold yesterday for $800 here in Australia, but practically everything is more expensive here.

Thanks!

welly
13-Dec-2011, 00:24
G'day!

Australia here too (Sydney - whereabouts are you?). I shoot with a Sinar F2 on the recommendation of a few people. It's a great camera, I really like it. Although I have nothing to compare it against, it seems to do everything I could possibly want a film camera to do and like you say, plenty of accessories available.

Bear in mind they're a fairly beefy (relatively speaking) 4x5 camera from what I can tell and compared with the 4x5 field cameras that a few friends shoot with.

If you happen to be in Sydney and want to check out an F2 (if you haven't seen one in person before), give me a shout and we can organise something. If you're not then obviously we can't :)

Cheers,

Welly

jars121
13-Dec-2011, 02:29
Hey Welly, thanks for responding!

I am indeed in Sydney, on the north shore. I had a really quick feel around with an old Sinar 4x5 at a used camera dealer a couple of days ago, but I didn't really get to play with the movements or anything. If you want to meet up for a shoot at some point let me know, I'm always keen to go out with my Fuji 617 :)

Vaughn
13-Dec-2011, 03:48
It is okay to bite the bullet, just don't drink the Kool-aid. ;)

I have never used a F2. I have used other 4x5's; Calumets, a Linhof, Graphic Views, Gowland PocketView, Rajah, Horseman Woodman, Tachihara, a few different Press 4x5's, and probably something I have forgotten.

The PocketView as a very light monorail 4x5 (2.5 pounds with a Caltar 150mm f5.6 lens on it) was a very good tool while on my bicycle for 5 months. It would drive those who need a more stable, precise, full-featured camera nuts in about 4 minutes of its first use. But with 6 holders and tripod it was light enough I could take it backpacking solo into the Grand Canyon for a few 11-day trips. This was when my knees were much younger and before carbon fiber tripods. My Gitzo 300 and ballhead #2 weighed about 7 pounds. A little over-kill with the tripod. The 200 series (Reporter) would have held the camera well, but at 6'4" I like to have some height to the pod without depending too much on the center column.

These days I am carrying a wood folding 8x10 and a tripod that weighs ten pounds more than the pod above. Lots of exercise!

Do you already have a tripod?

A camera is just a tool, so one needs to ask if a particular camera type and/or make best suits what one wants to use it for. Then hopefully one can try several cameras to see how easy or intuitive the controls are. The Catch-22 is that until one has used a LF camera or cameras for awhile, it is difficult to know what questions to ask or what to expect from a LF camera.

Good luck in finding the right camera! But later if you find you need a camera to fit a different need, there is nothing wrong with owning two 4x5 cameras, or even three. After all it is not G.A.S. if you really need and use it! :D

Vaughn

jars121
13-Dec-2011, 04:05
Thanks for that Vaughn :) I would love to be able to sample a number of various 4x5's to find one that suits me, but they are becoming increasingly rare these days. I've heard nothing but good things about the Sinar F series, so I think that would be a good place to start. As for a tripod, I have a really heavy duty Manfrotto (can't exactly remember the model number) that holds my medium format camera like a champ.

welly
13-Dec-2011, 19:02
Hey Welly, thanks for responding!

I am indeed in Sydney, on the north shore. I had a really quick feel around with an old Sinar 4x5 at a used camera dealer a couple of days ago, but I didn't really get to play with the movements or anything. If you want to meet up for a shoot at some point let me know, I'm always keen to go out with my Fuji 617 :)

Yeah, that would be great! I've always wanted to try out one of those Fuji 617 cameras. We should definitely organise something :) I'm in Darlinghurst but a trip over the bridge wouldn't be too traumatic! If you're free any time over the Christmas holidays, let me know.

Cheers!