PDA

View Full Version : Ross NO.3

herrfuchs
12-Dec-2011, 19:34
Does anyone know What does a Ross NO 3 cabinet lens cover? It is pretty big but does not say what the focal length is either.

cdholden
12-Dec-2011, 19:47
"Cabinet" was a size between 5x7 and whole plate. See url: http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_early/1_early_photography_-_sizes.htm

eddie
13-Dec-2011, 04:00
here you go. 13 inch f3 bet it covers whole plate perfectly.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=63381&highlight=ross

CCHarrison
13-Dec-2011, 04:18
From 1904 London Kodak Catalogue

# 3 was code named "Quiver'"

Dan

Steven Tribe
13-Dec-2011, 04:26
It is always a bad sign when bids are placed so early! People get so excited that they can't wait for the logically correct sniper bid! If you are really interested, then it would be wise to send question after question as early as possible as the lister obviously hasn't a clue (or is holding back on purpose).

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Dec-2011, 07:35
Yes, none of us are watching that one!

Jim Galli
13-Dec-2011, 07:40
From 1904 London Kodak Catalogue

# 3 was code named "Quiver'"

Dan

They're not worth much because you can't get a sharp picture with a lens named "quiver"!

More like 11 1/2" focal I think in practice (at least the one I had was)

herrfuchs
13-Dec-2011, 08:08
awh so in actuality this really wouldn't cover 8x10 properly...

goamules
13-Dec-2011, 08:18
It is always a bad sign when bids are placed so early! People get so excited that they can't wait for the logically correct sniper bid! If you are really interested, then it would be wise to send question after question as early as possible as the lister obviously hasn't a clue (or is holding back on purpose).

Yes, some of the higher recent auctions are due to this "I've GOT to win!" behavior. It's hilarious (unless you were hoping for a shot) to see a couple people fighting for the top bid with a week to go. Look at the bid history, it's a case of one upping his bid every 20 seconds while he tries to find the top. Of course, as soon as he's at the top, the other idiot jumps in ("I gotta WIN!") and then he is top dog...for a few hours. Higher and higher, until one of them does win it, for about 33-50% higher than it would have gone for if everyone just waited to bid at the end. I saw one $300 item go for close to $1,000 last week, as two fought over being the "Winner" for days on end.

Jim Galli
13-Dec-2011, 09:25
awh so in actuality this really wouldn't cover 8x10 properly...

Certainly not at infinity, but moved in closer for a portrait, at some point it would cover, but still be proportionally not what would be considered ideal.