PDA

View Full Version : Drum Scanner in Seattle

sraichur
12-Dec-2011, 15:40
Hello all,

I've been shooting LF for many years, and now have maybe 20 - 30 good images that I think are drum worthy.

I'm now pondering the whether to send this out or try to delve into buying and doing my own drum scans. Sending out might cost anywhere from $700 - $3000 depending on who i use.

I've been reading the drum scanner threads quite a bit and see that it's possible to find a Howtek for $1500 - $3000 used it seems.

Firstly, i was wondering if there is anybody in the seattle area that owns and operates a drum scanner? It would be great to see one first hand and see how difficult or easy it is to operate one. That might give me a good idea if it's something I even want to bother with.
Secondly if that person is willing to make a scan for me so i can see the quality difference between it and an Imacon X5 (which is what i scan on right now)

My goal in the end is to be able to make 40x50 prints.

Thanks
Sandeep

Daniel Stone
12-Dec-2011, 15:55
If you are planning on going to 40x50, I'd definitely recommend doing drum scans. I've found that X5 scans for me start to fall apart around 20x24 or so. YMMV

Dan

mcfactor
13-Dec-2011, 08:40
This studio has and operates a drum scanner in Seattle. They might be willing to show it to you or perhaps do a test. They also do amazing color carbon prints:

http://www.colorcarbonprint.com/