PDA

View Full Version : Pyro HD in Glycol development notes

swmcl
11-Dec-2011, 21:54
Hi,

As I understand it for a 1+1+100 of Part A+Part B+water the following is an introductory guide.

Film requires 50ml per 20 sq inches. So 4x5 film requires 50ml per sheet.

The Jobo 3006 says it needs 210ml minimum to operate well.

For correct development 6 sheets of 4x5 requires 300ml minimum which is more than the Jobo 3006 minimum of 210ml. I assume by this measurement on the drum of the Jobo that it effectively means the 3006 will need to process 4 sheets of film as a minimum with 210ml of fluid.

According to a few sources to increase stain on a negative, one should return the film to the used developer after fixing. My question is whether this means to return it to depleted developer or just to the used developer ? As can be seen in the above calculations, I could put only 300ml of developer into the drum which would be the absolute minimum required for development but I would rather put in say 450 or 500ml to make sure of development. Can / should I put the film back into a mixture that is potentially only 2/3rds depleted ?

Sorry if you think this is a bit anal ...

Rgds,

joselsgil
11-Dec-2011, 22:42
Steve,

I was told by Gordon Hutchins, to return the film to the used developer after fixing for an additional 2 minutes. This was to assist in the staining of the negatives.
Since Pyro is a one shot developer, that developer was to be discarded anyways.
He also recommended mixing 500ml of developer.
You may want to obtain his book, "The Book of Pyro", as he has tons of info in the book.
I picked up a copy at Freestyle.

Hope this info helps,

Jose

PS. Freestyle is located in Hollywood, California. The book's publisher is Bitter Dog Press. Not sure where you can obtain it from in Queensland :(

Peter Gomena
11-Dec-2011, 22:53
That recommendation was for PMK, not Pyrocat HD, and if you search the back threads in this part of the forum, you will find most people have stopped using the second soak in used developer (or in fresh part B) because it increases general stain. The end result is longer printing times with no real benefit. I have read that Mr. Hutchings himself now recommends against the second soak. I stopped using the second soak several years ago and my negatives are fine.

Peter Gomena

jp
12-Dec-2011, 08:22
With PMK and Pyrocat HD, I too dump the developer after development and don't do the second soak.

Jim Noel
12-Dec-2011, 09:11
I stopped the re-use of developer when I switched to Pyrocat. The quantities on the drum are the minimum to cover the film, not necessarily the amount needed for best development. Whatever quantity you use,be consistent and then consistent with your times.

swmcl
13-Dec-2011, 23:03
Cheers guys,

Yes I have the Book of Pyro but it doesnt speak of Pyro HD as noted.

I take it that the second soak in used or depleted developer is now not the favoured option. It is also simpler to not do so. I like KISS so out it goes !\

Thanks.

Peter Gomena
13-Dec-2011, 23:30
Isn't the standard dilution for PMK 1A+2B+100 water? That may be different for a Jobo, but I'm pretty sure it's not 1+1+100.

Peter Gomena

J. Fada
14-Dec-2011, 23:45
When I use Pyrocat-P in a Jobo 3010 for 4x5 I use the max 1 l. of chemistry. Developer is cheap. I don't particularly feel like skimping when film and time are not cheap and staining developers like Pyrocat don't like oxidation. I don't run my film on a Jobo. I use a Beseler roller base. If you are running it on a Jobo you may stress the motor if you fill the tank. Others will certainly chime in here.

If you can only run a certain amount of chemistry because of the load on the Jobo motor you may have to decrease the dilution to 1+2 or 2+2.

I have been thinking about going back to PMK lately though. I don't remember ever having a bad neg with PMK but I have had a few inconvenient ones with Pyrocat which I have been using for the last 6 years.

Greg Y
14-Dec-2011, 23:49
Peter, 1+1+100 is the standard dilution for Pyrocat. As you pointed the 1+2 etc is PMK.

Peter Gomena
15-Dec-2011, 23:27
Right. Typing too late at night.

Peter Gomena