PDA

View Full Version : Getting film to Israel

David_5527
11-Dec-2011, 14:09
I have some large format film (14x17) I need to get to Israel. (I am flying there this week). I was going to ship it, but I think shipping Fedex and UPS will be x-rayed once it hits Customs or possibly open the film once it gets there, plus shipping charges are huge and, they can also charge me a huge amount for Duties...--, so I think my only option is to carry-on with me...Any advice on that best way to get hand checks on large format??

Thanks.

cowanw
11-Dec-2011, 14:28
1. fly first class
2. carry on (and you are just under max size) and beg.
3. Israel being as security conscious as it is begging won't work. Carry on and let them xray it.( no harm will acrue until you go through your 10th or more security screening)

Sevo
11-Dec-2011, 14:57
After the aircraft mail bombing attempt somne time ago film shipping has become risky, even more so to risk destinations like Israel and the US - if you want to play safe you'd have to enlist the help of a certified shipper. All large couriers can provide that service, but it will cost a arm and a leg - you might be better off ordering from a large mail order place (ask them whether they are certified shippers or have some partner through which they can ship un-xrayed) straight to Israel.

Daniel Stone
11-Dec-2011, 16:57
where are you(the OP) flying from(origination country)?

that could eliminate some possibilities/suggestions right off the bat

-Dan

Ari
11-Dec-2011, 19:14
Let them X-ray your film; it will be fine.
Bring a receipt if possible, they will ask as many questions as they like, over and over, until they're satisfied.

r.e.
11-Dec-2011, 20:14
Let them X-ray your film; it will be fine.
Bring a receipt if possible, they will ask as many questions as they like, over and over, until they're satisfied.

This is the advice of a man who is well-informed, both on the subject of x-rays and how security works at Ben Gurion airport. Don't be surprised if you are questioned right after you get off the plane and before you get to immigration/customs. Just let security at your departure x-ray the film, and if the Israelis want to do it again when you arrive, tell them that it is your pleasure. As Ari says, it won't do the film any harm, and the people who are running security at both ends, when it comes to flights to Israel, have concerns that do not include accommodating people who don't want their carry-on baggage x-rayed.

David_5527
17-Dec-2011, 13:47
Thanks for replies. Made it with no problems, and travelled with a large amount of ulf film, carrying on (14x17)..For future reference...I travelled from Sacramento to Houston...then Houston to Newark....then Newark to Tel Aviv. I had to go through security in Sacramento and Houston because of layovers, but was just transferring planes in Newark, so none there. I brought a dark bag with me,just in case they insisted on opening boxes, but didn't need it. I simply asked for hand checks at the various airports and they all complied and just did a quick swab test on the boxes of film. Seems like it's standard procedure and most personnel know about it by now, at least in the airports I was in.

Had a little hassle carrying in that much in Sacramento, since I had an extra bag besides the film, but they relented pretty easily...For the next flight, I brought a box of chocolates for the crew, which I handed to them upon getting on the plane -- they were so thrilled with that, that nobody even looked at what I was taking on.

I also booked seats in the back of the plane, which allowed me to get on early and there was room in the overheads....

Upon arrival in Israel, I had no problems coming through customs with nothing to declare--

No X-rays, nothing...I guess I got lucky and highly recommend traveling with a few boxes of chocolate!!!

r.e.
17-Dec-2011, 18:33
Thanks for replies. Made it with no problems, and travelled with a large amount of ulf film, carrying on (14x17)..For future reference...I travelled from Sacramento to Houston...then Houston to Newark....then Newark to Tel Aviv. I had to go through security in Sacramento and Houston because of layovers, but was just transferring planes in Newark, so none there. I brought a dark bag with me,just in case they insisted on opening boxes, but didn't need it. I simply asked for hand checks at the various airports and they all complied and just did a quick swab test on the boxes of film. Seems like it's standard procedure and most personnel know about it by now, at least in the airports I was in.

Had a little hassle carrying in that much in Sacramento, since I had an extra bag besides the film, but they relented pretty easily...For the next flight, I brought a box of chocolates for the crew, which I handed to them upon getting on the plane -- they were so thrilled with that, that nobody even looked at what I was taking on.

I also booked seats in the back of the plane, which allowed me to get on early and there was room in the overheads....

Upon arrival in Israel, I had no problems coming through customs with nothing to declare--

No X-rays, nothing...I guess I got lucky and highly recommend traveling with a few boxes of chocolate!!!

This is so much the luck of the draw. See this, also posted today, on someone's else's recent experience in Houston: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=819375#post819375

Matus Kalisky
18-Dec-2011, 08:27
What about the chocolate? For the security guys? :)