PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Compendium Bellows for Linhof Technikas?

Frank Petronio
11-Dec-2011, 12:07
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280786885666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3076wt_1094

I'm usually loath to buy Chinese knock-offs but... this looks pretty good because it seems like you can adjust it like the old Toyo-Wista compendiums where you can push a corner in and pull the others out, adjusting the shade to suit conditions. It also appears to have the pins to fit into the front standard of the Technika IV or later - and a pivot so you can flip it up to access the lens controls. I used to like that with the old Wistas I had.

Has anyone actually boughten and used one? Does it fit and work properly?

Apologies to Linhof, it seems like a more usable design that their own bellows on the rod set-up. But not if it's junk.

Arne Croell
11-Dec-2011, 13:42
I bought one a few years ago for my TK 3000, it fits and works fine. The flip-up works great. One thing, tighten the screws holding the struts on the frame (visible in the picture), mine came loose after a few months. Fortunately I found all the hardware in my bag and since I screwed it back together, no problems.

speedfreak
11-Dec-2011, 14:13
These look pretty nice. I'm wondering if the bellows itself is able to adjust up and down, left and right in order to accommodate camera movements?
Frank, you might check my ad in the FS section. I have a Linhof shade that is an older version but may work for you. I'm not sure if the mounting block is the same as far as pin location, but I have the measurements posted in the ad.
This shade is nice in that it has the ability to move up, down, left and right to accommodate camera movements. The frames are independant from each other so if the front needs to move up when applying camera rise, the rear frame can stay in a neutral position and not interfer with the lens.
Even though the shade doesn't fold or hinge out of the way, the rear frame slides forward along the rod to clear the shutter controls. This said, with shorter lenses, and alot of rise the shade becomes compressed and takes some finess to get everything where you need it. Most all shade, I'm sure, become difficult to use with short lenses and movements.
One more thing. Per the recent compendium shade discussion, I would think this shade with its bellow folds is better at deflecting stray light rays than perhaps a bag type lens shade. I have no way of proving this, but I'm sure someone (GPS) will let me know if I'm wrong! Geometry, geometry! :)

Frank Petronio
11-Dec-2011, 18:30
Thanks Arne and Speedfreak. Yes I got a lot out of that bellows thread too, but GPS managed to convince me that nothing will ever work properly and I won't be able to determine what to do without Master's degrees in Optics and Math ;-p

I don't think the Technikarden shade is easily interchangable with the Technika version, at least the way the rod attaches requires different hardware. I haven't found any photos or parts numbers to refer to. B&H doesn't even list the proper hardware but given that the shade part runs over $700 new I fear the mounts will cost more than this entire off-brand bellows.

If the lenshade is mounted to the front standard, then shouldn't it "follow" the camera movements naturally? I like that you can shape this shade independently but in most cases I would keep a constant depth on all four corners.

Bob Salomon
12-Dec-2011, 02:35
Thanks Arne and Speedfreak. Yes I got a lot out of that bellows thread too, but GPS managed to convince me that nothing will ever work properly and I won't be able to determine what to do without Master's degrees in Optics and Math ;-p

I don't think the Technikarden shade is easily interchangable with the Technika version, at least the way the rod attaches requires different hardware. I haven't found any photos or parts numbers to refer to. B&H doesn't even list the proper hardware but given that the shade part runs over $700 new I fear the mounts will cost more than this entire off-brand bellows.

If the lenshade is mounted to the front standard, then shouldn't it "follow" the camera movements naturally? I like that you can shape this shade independently but in most cases I would keep a constant depth on all four corners.

Compendium adapters for the corrent Linhof compendium to allow using one on a different Linhof camera are avaibable, but not from camera stores. They are available from Linhof service centers. In the USA that is Marflex.
Adapters are available for:
Technika IV to Master 45 cameras
TechniKardan 23 and 45 S and non S models
Linhoh Kardan monorails with a front standard mounted accessory shoe

So one compendium can easily be interchanged between the various Linhof cameras above.

But the only adapters available are for the current compendium with the thin, black rails. Adapters are not available for older versions with wide silver rails or round rails.