PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Flash Bulbs

W K Longcor
10-Dec-2011, 13:41
Now that I am retired from the Professional end of photography, I am beginning to clean out some excess items -- which I have come to realize that I will probably never have need of again. I found a small stash of flash bulbs -- all different sizes. Even one or two "antiques" - the BIG bulbs with the large wad of foil insize. I am sure someone would like to get these at a moderate price. BUT, how does one ship flash bulbs. I believe they fall into the the "forbidden" catagory as far as the US post office is concerned. And I can imagine some UPS guy sliding them across the floor of his truck and having the static-electricity set everything ablaze! Anybody run into this before? Or, do I offer them strictly as a "local pick up item" only.:confused:

BrianShaw
10-Dec-2011, 14:27
I've bought a bunch of bulbs over ther past few years and all have been just put in shipping boxes and sent via UPS or USPS.

Leigh
10-Dec-2011, 14:57
Flashbulbs can be set off by static electricity. Winter with its low humidity can aggravate that problem.

I would suggest wrapping the box (not individual bulbs) in aluminum foil for protection.

Probably over-kill, but it doesn't hurt and it's not expensive.

- Leigh

Filmnut
10-Dec-2011, 16:02
I've bought and sold flashbulbs, and sent them through USPS, without incident. I always pack them very well, with lots of packing between them and the sides of the box.
Keith

Paul Ewins
10-Dec-2011, 16:11
I've got a couple of the original shipping boxes (i.e. contains 20 boxes of a dozen bulbs) for Phillips bulbs and the inside is foil lined, so Leigh's suggestion mightn't be a bad idea.

Ed Richards
10-Dec-2011, 20:35
If you do ship some and something goes wrong, you might find yourself in Guantanamo trying explain that it was just a mix up with flashbulbs.

W K Longcor
11-Dec-2011, 16:56
If you do ship some and something goes wrong, you might find yourself in Guantanamo trying explain that it was just a mix up with flashbulbs.

Ah! THAT is exactly why I asked in the first place. :D

Doug Herta
11-Dec-2011, 17:38
I buy flashbulbs on ebay and have had them shipped to me though all the major carriers with no incident.

Can you tell me what you have - I would be interested in purchasing them.