PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a SV45TE

Visions
10-Dec-2011, 05:46
Hello All!

As a newly minted convert from the digital wasteland, I am soon to take delivery of a lovingly taken care of, preowned Ebony SV 45TE.

The outfit I purchased is nearly complete except for a few things, which I was hoping you all could assist me with through time-tested experience & insight.

I would like to get a bellows hood (to fit a 90 Caltar and 150 & 250 Fuji lens), a meter for landscapes (primarily what I want to do) a changing bag for film loading, and a roll film back holder.

I read somewhere in the forum that Mamyia Bellows Lens Hood G-3 could be easily modified with Lee? hardware. Not sure what a good price is for one of these? The changing bag should be an easy find, just don't want to spend $250 for one and afraid a used one may leak. And know nothing about which roll film back is the best used or even what to look for?

Also, one other stupid question. How do you deliver exposed film to the processor?

Thank you all in advance for any and all assistance.
All the best.

Michael Alpert
10-Dec-2011, 06:22
Also, one other stupid question. . . .

Your questions are not stupid, but you obviously have purchased a fine camera without adequate instruction about its use. I have two suggestions. (1) Find a workshop, or find an experienced photographer to help you individually. This forum has good information and not-so-good information; sometimes it is hard to distinguish between the two. All "stupid" (basic) questions can be answered in a week or two of focused instruction. Then you will be ready to confront all the other questions that make large-format photography both a joy and a challenge. (2) Understand that this kind of photography is a craft. There's a learning curve. If you need great results immediately, you're in the wrong field. So, after you've learned the basics, go slow. Be kind to yourself. Accept the fact that mistakes will be made. The aesthetic and technical nuances of large-format photography can be understood and realized only with experience.

I'll add a more-specific suggestion. Use a small room or an empty closet as the beginning of a darkroom. If you have a dark dust-free space with a counter to work on, you don't need a changing bag to load film--that is, assuming you have enough film holders for a day or two of camerawork. This is also the answer to your last question. I assume by "processor" you mean the "drums" used on a Jobo or similar film-processor.

darr
10-Dec-2011, 06:23
Adorama sells adapter rings for the Mamiya hoods; the pentax spotmeter is a favorite amongst LF shooters; a used changing bag should not be a problem as they are generally sold after light use (newbie realizes it is a hassle); Horseman roll film magazines were the favorite at one time, but they are no longer made (I think there are now some Chinese knock-offs that copy the Horseman design on auction site). I would search the auction site under Cameras > Film Photography > Film Backs & Holders; also try keh.com

Joanna Carter
10-Dec-2011, 06:26
As a newly minted convert from the digital wasteland, I am soon to take delivery of a lovingly taken care of, preowned Ebony SV 45TE.
An excellent choice :)

The changing bag should be an easy find, just don't want to spend $250 for one and afraid a used one may leak.
Take a look at the Calumet "Changing Room" (http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_changing_room/rm1000)

Also, one other stupid question. How do you deliver exposed film to the processor?
Ask the lab if they have a spare 3-part box, for the first couple of times; after that, you should have accumulated some of your own.

Visions
10-Dec-2011, 06:58
Hello and thank you for your suggestions.

Way back when, 1983? I learned how to use a 4x5 in college. Did mostly studio work, so I have some although minute experience to work with. Seem to remember loading sheets with the notches to the upper right...

Anyway, I wanted to start out simple with a Shen Hao, but after determining the cost of everything, the system I found seems a good fit, albeit a tad more money. But I know it will retain its value and has many miles left on it. I don't think I will buy another.

I have been searching locally for a fellow LF photographer, and have yet to find one. I am located in NE Ohio and KNOW someone is out there, but they have not shown up yet. I really would like to find a mentor rather than the expense of a workshop, although I may just do one anyway.

As for developing in-house. I really am not interested, at this time in pursuing it. I want to learn & enjoy what I am doing in the field and am willing to pay a processor (lab) to process the results.

All the best.

Tim k
10-Dec-2011, 17:52
As for developing in-house. I really am not interested, at this time in pursuing it.

Thats what I said............:rolleyes:

Good luck, enjoy it.

Frank Petronio
10-Dec-2011, 19:10
If you don't have a clean, dark room then do yourself a favor and dig deep enough to purchase a Harrison Pup Tent for $216 and do it right. The tent is large and clean enough to allow you to load and unload comfortably - a simple changing bag will drape onto your formerly dust-free holders - the Calumet Changing Room is OK but really cramped (I have had and hate them) - you just got a $5000 camera - the tent isn't the place to cheap out!

Use the same 3-part film box you got the film in to transport exposed film. Ask on this forum and someone will send you a couple boxes for postage. Or ask a lab. If you don't know of a lab, use Edgar at http://www.4photolab.com/ in Rochester, most of his work is mail order. Tape up the box, label it with your name and what kind/quantity it is, and mail the box inside an envelope.

Perhaps you might want to use simple cheap screw-in hoods to start with? It will be one less thing in the way while you get your workflow figured out. Your photos will be fine.

If you want to use roll film, why not get a Hasselblad? Or wait until you get a handle on using the camera before spending the money. It's an additional complication you don't need upfront, plus the small negative won't show you your mistakes as readily. You want to see what you messed up when you're learning....

Many large-format photographers end up with Pentax Digital Spot Meters but you have to understand how to use them. For getting started, any quality meter or even a digital camera will get you close enough.

Keep it simple. An hour spent with an experienced photographer will set you straight and save you a lot of experimentation.

Congrats on the Ebony, it's like learning to drive in a sports car. Well, a wooden one ;-p

Visions
13-Dec-2011, 05:51
Thank you Frank.

I like the tent idea, never thought about dust "inside" the tent.

I have owned a 'blad. 500 CM w/ 80 & 250. What a beast with the longer lens, but oh so crisp corner to corner! Don't want to go back to MF. I just thought the roll back would give me the option to shoot pano.

I will forgo the hood for now, but it seems to be something I will need to get.

Again, I know the camera is a bit more than the average Joe trying to get into LF, but the price was outstanding and included everything I could possibly need or want, except for a meter, tent & film.

I am very excited with the prospect!

All the best.

Steve Hamley
13-Dec-2011, 07:56
You're doing fine. My first camera was a Crown Graphic my dad bought for me as a birthday present to try out 4x5. Once I'd decided that i wanted to continue in LF - which was about as long as it took to get the first chromes back and examine them and to understand movements - I bought an Ebony SV45U. That was almost 10 years ago and I still have both of them.

Get a good quality camera that's in good working order and feels good to you in use, then use it!

Cheers, Steve

John Koehrer
13-Dec-2011, 12:05
These folks have gatherings all over the mid-west, They may be in touch with folks in your (sort of) local area.

midwestlargeformat.com

We have a members list but I don't know if it can be searched by state.