PDA

View Full Version : Epson Film holders How to make my own .

duckland23
9-Dec-2011, 18:30
I want to make some epson film holders for a epson perfection 2450 scanner . I looked all over the internet but cant find them , So I want to make some my self . I know you can Place the neg right on the glass of the scanner and it will scan it , but it a pain to do . You have to get it right and it take some time before it straght . I searched The part number for epson 1079948 for the 35mm neg thats what I need . Its a great scanner I found at the thrift store in kenosha ,WI . I paid 20.00 for it and for the scans Im getting it better than a scanner from HP I use to own back in 2001 .

If some one has one of these scanners and can trace a copy of the film holders for me . I can cut out some with a pesce of plastic from loby hobby .But I need a temp plate to copy from to do that . I think I can make my own . If someone can help me out that would be great , Im lost at this point and really love the scan qualty Im getting from this scanner it great . Oh by the way You can buy the software for any epson scanner at.

www.newsoftinc.com

Kuzano
9-Dec-2011, 18:58
www.betterscanning.com

Your scanner is listed. Has available both height adjustment and ANR glass inserts if needed.

duckland23
9-Dec-2011, 19:07
I know Better scanning has Holders for mf , but not 35mm film like I want to scan . Im not interested in MF format film scanning right now . I would like to make my own film holders . I dont have 80.00 or want to spend that much money on a holder . Im interested in a member on that can copy or trace the film holder from a epson perfection 2450 . So I can scan 35mm neg from my scanner .

jp
9-Dec-2011, 20:16
Make some out of mat board. It'll probably be better than what Epson makes.

Tim Meisburger
9-Dec-2011, 20:41
Might be easiest to ask around and see if anyone has one they can send you. I may have one, as I had that scanner and when it died I do not think I threw them away, but I have recently moved and still have a lot of old stuff like that in boxes. I'll look around today.

duckland23
9-Dec-2011, 21:01
Thank You tim I can really use your help .

Frank Petronio
9-Dec-2011, 21:08
In the meantime, sandwich two-pieces of 4-ply black mat board, cut and sanded smooth to remove dust, make a tape hinge.... Put a 5-6 frame film strip in there, tape the corners tight, scan away. Don't cover the calibration strip at the end of the scanning area. Probably better than the OEM carrier.

Heck you could probably drop an enlarger film carrier on the platen and be OK.

duckland23
9-Dec-2011, 22:06
Frank where's the calibration strip at on this scanner meaning the 2450 .

Frank Petronio
9-Dec-2011, 22:39
I don't know for sure with the old 2450 but with the following models you have to leave about 3/4-in horizontally at the top of the platen (towards the rear of the scanner) for it to calibrate itself. But yours may be different. The OEM (and Better Scanning) holders have slots to take this into account, so if you could look at a real holder you could get an idea of where "no mans land" is.

bobwysiwyg
10-Dec-2011, 05:24
I want to make some epson film holders for a epson perfection 2450 scanner . I looked all over the internet but cant find them , So I want to make some my self . I know you can Place the neg right on the glass of the scanner and it will scan it , but it a pain to do . You have to get it right and it take some time before it straght . I searched The part number for epson 1079948 for the 35mm neg thats what I need . Its a great scanner I found at the thrift store in kenosha ,WI . I paid 20.00 for it and for the scans Im getting it better than a scanner from HP I use to own back in 2001 .

If some one has one of these scanners and can trace a copy of the film holders for me . I can cut out some with a pesce of plastic from loby hobby .But I need a temp plate to copy from to do that . I think I can make my own . If someone can help me out that would be great , Im lost at this point and really love the scan qualty Im getting from this scanner it great . Oh by the way You can buy the software for any epson scanner at.

www.newsoftinc.com

Duck,

I have a 2450 and use it for scanning 35mm, MF and 4x5 as well. What exactly are you wanting traced on the 35mm holder? It holds two 35mm strips. Do you want just the 'track' width for each strip? If you like, I can trace the entire holder and scan it :) and send that to you. Might be better, if you are interested, to shoot me an eMail at bobwessner@comcast.net

Proteus617
10-Dec-2011, 07:34
Bob-might be easier to put the film holder on the platen and scan the entire platen as reflective. Pretend its a document. Instant image file that would provide the perfect template for the DIY version.

bobwysiwyg
10-Dec-2011, 07:42
Yup, that's an option as well.

Michael Gordon
10-Dec-2011, 08:26
I know Better scanning has Holders for mf , but not 35mm film like I want to scan.

You cut your own masks with the BetterScanning system, so you can scan ANY size film, including 35mm.

duckland23
10-Dec-2011, 12:23
bobwysiwyg@

Yes You can scan the 35mm holder or copy it for me so I can trace it out and make one for use in my scanner . If You can measure it for me too That would be great too . so I have a true picture of what it should me when traced out from a peace of plastic .

Im going to email you a blank email so you can send it to me in email for me to print out from my laser printer .

dave

Thank you

bobwysiwyg
10-Dec-2011, 13:58
eMail with attachments sent. If you need any additional info, let me know.

duckland23
10-Dec-2011, 14:09
How to print it to full scale . My HP Laser printer is not doing that . I may have to hook-up my HP inkjet print to do this. Im not getting a option for photo printing from it . Im stumped at this point . So far its working , but the thumb nail at coming out right just the neg from color in 35mm . Im not getting every single thumb nail for the picture .

duckland23
10-Dec-2011, 15:04
Well I printed it after I opened the attactment from bob . Thank you Bob Im going to try it again , but this time im going to cut it out from the attactment you sent me . Im also going to Hobby loby to see if I can find some plastic or thick paper cardboard . To do the trick . Im wondering it there's a way to print right from a inkjet printer to the cardboard ?.

bobwysiwyg
10-Dec-2011, 16:17
Don't know about printing directly on cardboard, never tried. If you can get them to print actual size, you might try adhering the print to the cardboard, I think there are some suitable adhesives for this, then use something like an Xacto? knife to cut around the printed areas?? I've used this method to make gaskets for vintage motorcycles for hard, or impossible to find gaskets. Of course, the part had to fit on the scanner.

duckland23
10-Dec-2011, 23:28
Pictures Of My DIY Film Holder For epson 2450 scanner .

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/duckland23/EpsonScannerHold35mm002.jpg
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/duckland23/EpsonScannerHold35mm004.jpg

Adrian Pybus
11-Dec-2011, 01:28
On Friday I picked up some film from the lab and we got to talking about scanning. The lab guy said that replacing the holders with a glass plate with the same thickness as the holder gave a better scan. I haven't tried it yet but will do. Anybody else tried this?

Adrian

duckland23
11-Dec-2011, 10:22
Yes I did , But it a Pain in the butt to do.You have to get the film just right on . I would use the holder plus the glass on top of the holder .If you place the glass on the scanner glass without Knowing where the calibration Marks are for your scanner to read the Neg film , Your scanner wont read it right . Thats why I made My Own .On 620 Film It was not as hard to do. I had a easy time with my scanner finding the film . But 35MM I could not get it to read .

Adrian Pybus
11-Dec-2011, 15:54
Yes I did , But it a Pain in the butt to do.You have to get the film just right on . I would use the holder plus the glass on top of the holder .If you place the glass on the scanner glass without Knowing where the calibration Marks are for your scanner to read the Neg film , Your scanner wont read it right . Thats why I made My Own .On 620 Film It was not as hard to do. I had a easy time with my scanner finding the film . But 35MM I could not get it to read .

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if the lab guy has more detailed solutions to these problems.

Adrian

duckland23
14-Dec-2011, 14:47
P.s guys and gals . If you make your own scanner holder , Make sure you use a black board type . Black matte type from hobby lobby or a store that sells this stuff . I made a mistake and got a white one . You cant use the white one it just wont work right on the scanner . I made that mistake and used the white colored one and had problems with The scanner seeing the neg right . So use the black if you want to make your own . After I painted it black all around to cover the white on it I was able to scan the film neg from 35mm film . Im getting better scans from my 35mm film than my sony cybershot 10 mega pix camera . Im pleased from the qualty Im getting .

D. Bryant
14-Dec-2011, 15:40
Pictures Of My DIY Film Holder For epson 2450 scanner .

I thought this was the Large Format Forum not the 35mm Forum.:)

duckland23
14-Dec-2011, 16:39
It is but People in here had info I needed from them . Sorry but I had to come in this forum to get what I needed