PDA

View Full Version : How much is Rodenstock Sinaron S 150mm and 210mm worth?

guphoto
9-Dec-2011, 11:35
Dear all,

As I venture into the world of large format photography, I am here to seek your advice.

I have come across a complete set up but no idea how much I should offer to make it reasonable in today's market.

It's a Sinar F1 kit with magnifying hood, and 3 lenses.

135mm Calumet Caltar S (made in Germany)
150mm Rodenstock Sinaron S
210mm Rodenstock Sinaron S

I was told they are all in perfect conditions, and I'm going over to see the kit tomorrow, with the hope that I could make a deal.

Can anyone advise on their current market worth?

Many thanks!

Gu

Louis Pacilla
9-Dec-2011, 13:24
The Sinaron S is simply a Sinar branded Rodenstock Sironar N which is a plasmat design has angle of 72 degrees .

The Rodenstock Sironar S is the more expensive Rodenstock plasmat design that covers 75 degrees . You can see how folks get confused. The Sinar branded Sinaron ES or SE is the same as the Rodenstock Sironar S .

The Calumet Caltar S is a rebranded Schneider Symmar S whaich is a fine Plasmat design w/ 72 degree coverage.

All three lenses will preform very well for you on 4x5.

As to the value. They will be the same pricing as the brand name for the most part in the used market. Check eBay completed listings and look for lenses which have sold. Not just what the seller was asking. Make sure the completed price is green.:D

guphoto
9-Dec-2011, 13:28
Thank you for the reply.

Together with bellow, rail, box and 2 dark slides, do you think $900 is a reasonable asking price?

Edward (Halifax,NS)
9-Dec-2011, 13:38
If the camera and lenses are in very good to excellent condition then $1000-1200 is a fair price. $900 would be a reasonable opening offer and the person might even say yes.

E. von Hoegh
9-Dec-2011, 13:58
Thank you for the reply.

Together with bellow, rail, box and 2 dark slides, do you think $900 is a reasonable asking price?

It's cheap. If the stuff is in decent condition, $900 would be a steal. Good Luck!!

We'll be here for all your questions.........;)

guphoto
9-Dec-2011, 14:11
Thank you all for the advice, I shall keep fingers crossed and carefully inspect the conditions before shake hands on the deal :)

Martin Aislabie
9-Dec-2011, 17:17
Thank you all for the advice, I shall keep fingers crossed and carefully inspect the conditions before shake hands on the deal :)

All LF equipment fetches much higher prices in the UK and Europe than the USA.

Asking here (which is a heavily USA biased site) may give you an artificially low expectation of cost in the UK.

It can be worth investigating buying Lenses in from the USA in some circumstances.

Martin

IanG
9-Dec-2011, 17:53
If all is as said, and there's items not mentioned as well like bag bellows, an RF back. a case . . . . . . etc . . . . . . it's a very good buy.

Ian

jeroldharter
9-Dec-2011, 22:50
I would say that $1000 is a good deal, assuming that you would use all of the components. You could easily sell the lenses if you don't want them.