PDA

View Full Version : Wista lens boards

AnselAdamsX
9-Dec-2011, 08:47
I have several metal Wista brand lens boards. One has the hole centered in the board and one has the hole lower on the board. Anyone know the reason for this?

Bob Salomon
9-Dec-2011, 08:52
The lower position centers the lens on the center of the GG with cameras like the Linhofs. Current Wista boards are also made that way.

AnselAdamsX
9-Dec-2011, 10:30
The lower position centers the lens on the center of the GG with cameras like the Linhofs. Current Wista boards are also made that way. So why would they ever have made centered ones?

Steve Hamley
9-Dec-2011, 10:31
To use on cameras that are not made for an off center hole.

The off center hole is a Linhof thing although adopted by other makers such as Ebony. But not all cameras that can use a Tech board are made like that.

Cheers, Steve

Bob Salomon
9-Dec-2011, 10:49
So why would they ever have made centered ones?

Some lenses can not be used on an "offcenter" hole with a Linhof. They require special Linhof boards that haze a z as the last digit in the model number. On these boards the hole is raised higher on the board. That lets these few lenses lock onto the front standard properly. If they used the board with the standard hole positioning the rear group will hit the hole in the front standard and the board will not lock in place. An example of this would be a 240mm Apo Sironar S which requires a 001059z board. The 240mm Apo Symmar L requires a 001119z board. That is to mount these lenses on a Master technika. If you were to mount the same lenses on a TK45 or 23 you do not need the z board and would use the 001119 board for either lens.

Bear in mind. The Technika IV was introduced in 1956 and the current Master Technika has essentially the same front standard configuration (for mounting a lensboard) as the IV has. But all lenses currently made are much newer then 1956. So lensboard/lens combinations that could work on a Technika in 56 are not always the same as today's lens/lensboard combinations.

Doremus Scudder
10-Dec-2011, 02:50
An added advantage of off-center holes is that, on cameras that will allow it, the board can be mounted upside-down to get you a bit more rise. My Woodman lets me do this and saves a lot of time not having to "point and tilt" to get enough rise.

If I were designing a field-camera system, I would have a square lensboard, able to be mounted in any orientation, with an off-center hole so you could use this to get more shift as well.

BTW, most cameras will accept most average-sized and smaller lenses on either type of board. To center the one not specifically designed for your camera, you just have to use a bit of rise or fall.

Best,

Doremus