PDA

View Full Version : Technika V Lensboards

Mark_Se
9-Dec-2011, 03:26
I bought a technika V and need lensboards for this lenses:

75mm, 90mm, 120mm, 150mm, 240mm

I guess 150mm and 240mm is no problem with a normal "non recessed" lensboard.
What boards would you buy for the other lenses?

Bob Salomon
9-Dec-2011, 04:07
001015 for the 75 to 150mm lenses per Linhof unless your 90mm is a 4.5 Rodenstock. Then a different board is required,
Some 240mm lenes will require a special order z board to mount it on a 45 Technika.

Mark_Se
9-Dec-2011, 04:40
four 001015 lens boards, a bit expensive..... are there any good clones available?
ps: the 90mm is a super angulon 5.6 / the 240mm i don`t own yet, i will buy one in the next days

Frank Petronio
9-Dec-2011, 07:07
All of those lenses should work on flat boards with the Technika V. The 90mm might benefit from the recessed board but you have to weigh it against the hassle of constricting your controls within the recessed board. The real consideration is whether your wide angle lenses can "make it" onto the focus rails and it really depends on the lens size and design. The proper Linhof board, while more expensive, is usually worth it for the very good reason that it will get your lens into the optimal position for controlled focusing.

But nobody is stopping you from popping that 90mm onto a $15 flat board and trying it, as it will work OK if you are lucky.

Other Linhof and lens specific boards sometimes have a shallow recess that make it possible to close the camera with lens attached, which is a very nice feature.

If you are OK with flat generic boards, then just figure out however many of your lenses use Copal 0,1, or 3 shutters (Compurs are the same diameter). All 4x5 Tech IV, V, and Master boards are the same size and interchangable.

Of the off-brands, the Wista boards are nicely made. Some of the generic boards are not thick enough to seat well -- you'll hear an annoying rattle -- and others have zero or poorly made light traps. Yet, there are some that are pretty good -- it's a crapshoot. If you want to do it right, bite the bullet and get the Linhof boards as they are noticeably better. And watch the next post be one where somebody tells me I am full of $#!+ LOL.

Bob Salomon
9-Dec-2011, 07:40
The 001015 Comfort board obviates all of Frank's points in his post. All operating controls for the shutter as well as the aperture scale itself are on the flat face of this board. There is no "hassle of constricting your controls within the recessed board" as there is no reason to have to reach into the board.

The board recommendations that I gave you come from the Linhof factory and are the Linhof factory's specific printed board recommendations for your camera.

Frank Petronio
9-Dec-2011, 10:09
I know about that board and it is nice. You should somehow get some photos of it up on the internet because even Google can't find one. I bet if people actually saw it, you'd sell a bunch of them. Not everyone wants to get on the phone and call about stuff these days....

Bob Salomon
9-Dec-2011, 11:25
I know about that board and it is nice. You should somehow get some photos of it up on the internet because even Google can't find one. I bet if people actually saw it, you'd sell a bunch of them. Not everyone wants to get on the phone and call about stuff these days....

Good idea, it was on the factory site but they took it down and it is in the literature that can be downloaded from the site.

So here is a picture of the board and its parts.

Frank Petronio
9-Dec-2011, 12:11
I really like those short Gepe cable release extensions for any recessed lens, those are a great product, much better than anything else on the market and not very expensive.

Bob Salomon
9-Dec-2011, 12:14
I really like those short Gepe cable release extensions for any recessed lens, those are a great product, much better than anything else on the market and not very expensive.

The ones on the board are even shorter then the Gepe Pro ones. These new short ones have replaced the wire gizzmo that they used on the older Linhof boards with the Cable Release Quick Socket system. However, some of the slower selling boards still have the older version.

Andrew
9-Dec-2011, 16:28
I'd agree that the recessed board will work better for the 90mm because using a 90 on a flat board generates problems using movements [not because of bellows compression but because the front standard gets caught up with the struts for the drop bed]

The 120 should be OK on a flatboard.

can't comment on the 75... I have one but haven't used it on the Technika

Noah A
9-Dec-2011, 23:06
You'll need a recessed board for your 75mm, otherwise (at least with my MT2000), the front standard is sort of half on the interior track and half on the main rails. With a recessed board you should be able to use the full image circle of a 90/4.5 Grandagon-N.

I use my 90 on a flat board, but it's a 90/4.5 so there's no real choice. Recessed boards are a pita (other than the expensive Linhof board).

All others (115, 135, 150, 210, 300) are on flat boards. Most of my boards are Linhof genuine boards. I've found that some generics don't fit. Even the Wista genuine boards are too tight at least with the newer Technikas and the TK45S. I've heard older Technikas are less picky and will work with generic boards. I even had a few older genuine Linhof boards that didn't fit my MT2000 and TK45S.

My recessed board is from ebay and made in China. It's a piece of junk. A standard cable release doesn't thread well into the board's socket and the socket/cable release mechanism is poorly designed, though at least the board does fit the camera well. But it was cheap and I wasn't sure if I'd like the 75mm. If I end up keeping the 75 I'll either put it on a flat genuine Linhof board and just use it with my TK, or bite the bullet and get a real Linhof recessed board.

I have a few Wista boards that I may sell in the near future...I think an 0 and a 1.