PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 4X5 / 8X10 Film

John Conway
8-Dec-2011, 19:38
What would be a good choice in film that will be going to a lab for processing. When I look through a Freestyle catalog, certain films appeal to me, but often they recommend specific developers and other specific processing recommendations. I always had my film processed at a lab (now long gone) and I kept things simple, using HP5 and FP4 since they used D76. I will be using a lab in Manhattan. I used them a lot over the years, mostly medium format with XP-2. So, I guess I should ask them what they use, and make a choice on film. I'm open to opinion.

Gene McCluney
8-Dec-2011, 21:36
I think you should continue to use the Ilford films. They are widely distributed and most labs have long experience with them.

joselsgil
8-Dec-2011, 22:11
Ilford or TMax would be a safe films to use in the US.

Frank Petronio
8-Dec-2011, 22:30
Asking is best. You could always send them a few non-critical rolls as a test. I imagine whatever is popular would be a good starting point... HP5, TXP, TMX, TMY. Most of the smaller brands are likely home- or school-processed by money-scrimping photographers.

John Conway
9-Dec-2011, 14:32
Thank you for the advice. I think I will stick with the Ilford film. I hope Ilford is in good shape and continues making the film.