PDA

View Full Version : 121f8 SA Lucked out

John Conway
7-Dec-2011, 16:51
As I am building my 4x5 lens collection, certain lenses are on my priority list, the 121 was on the list. I didn't think i would make it home in time from work to catch the end of the auction. When i turned on my computer, five minutes remained,I played the bid game, and now have a fine 121 late model in copal 0 for a very good price. Now, what I am wondering is this, do I need to use a recessed lens board or can I get away with a flat board. I will be using the lens on my Cambo Master PC and I have a bag bellows as well. I'm thinking the flat board will be fine.

hiend61
7-Dec-2011, 17:13
You will not need a recessed board. the standard flat board is fine if you have the bag bellows.

John Conway
7-Dec-2011, 17:31
That's great. I wonder what size filters she takes? I am still excited about this one.I never expected to get one of these for 230.00 and so mint to boot.

rdenney
7-Dec-2011, 19:57
77mm.

Schneider's information page for the 121. (http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/8-121mm.html)

I used this lens on a Cambo SC using a flat board and the standard bellows, without too much problem.

Rick "a true classic" Denney

Ari
7-Dec-2011, 20:17
Indeed a classic lens, and quite versatile.
I used it on 4x5 and 8x10, both with flat lensboard and standard bellows.

ImSoNegative
7-Dec-2011, 20:20
I love this lens, it will cover 8x10 as long as everything is zero-ed out, but it is an awsome wide on 5x7 w/ plenty of movements, have fun.

John Conway
8-Dec-2011, 15:05
The 77 mm filter size is great news. I have a complete set that I have not even thought about. I think they were used on my RB67 when I had that system. I have been wanting to do a project shooting barns, old farm houses, and landscape in the catskills.Some of the places that I plan on photographing include tall barns. With the 121 I will be able to work low and get a good amount of sky in the images. Also, I'm looking forward to the amount movements this lens will allow me. Ansel Adams did great things with the 121. He was very fond of the lens.

Peter Gomena
8-Dec-2011, 19:02
Good find! I use my 120 super-angulon on my whole plate camera and just love the wide-angle effect. It's my least-used lens on 4x5, but others swear by it.

Peter Gomena

neil poulsen
10-Dec-2011, 00:13
I have a 121mm S.A. that I like. Tons of movements on 4x5. Ansel Adams used this lens.

Daniel Unkefer
19-Dec-2011, 18:59
I have one that came through the Sinar Factory. It's one of my favorite lenses, on the 4x5 Norma. Occasionally I use it on the 8x10 Norma and it covers, but barely.

Great classic lens.

John Conway
19-Dec-2011, 20:43
Hey Daniel, I am really happy about getting this lens. Soon I will be heading up to the country to make some images. I have been playing with it on my Cambo, driving my wife crazy, all around the house. I have a Toyo 45A that I would like to use the 121 on as well. I think what I will do is get two adapters for both the Cambo and the Toyo that take the smaller Linhof boards so I can switch from camera to camera with all my lenses.