PDA

View Full Version : 90 F8 FUJINON SW in SEIKO B

stradibarrius
7-Dec-2011, 09:07
can you tell me what you think of this lens and it's image circle?

Gem Singer
7-Dec-2011, 09:21
The Fujinon f8 90SW in a Seiko B shutter is the older version of that lens.

It is single coated, 6 elements in 4 groups, takes 67mm screw-in filters, and has a 216mm image circle. Will barely cover 5x7.

I presently have a Fujinon f8 NWS ("N" stands for newer version) for sale on this forum. It is EBC multi-coated, mounted in a Copal 0 shutter, and also has a 216mm image circle.

PM me if you are interested in a good deal on a newer lens.

Chuck Pere
9-Dec-2011, 06:59
I got one with a camera outfit and only tried it a couple times to verify any problems. It seemed like a nice sharp lens. It's competition is the older Super Angulon. I'd say both these are a little better than the older Angulons. Small for a wide angle and fairly light. I'd put the pricing around $175-200. If you can afford it I'd say move up to the next generation multi coated lens. But if you are looking for good value this lens would have it.

Michael Graves
9-Dec-2011, 09:49
I own the Fujinon SW90 f8 and have a very high opinion of it. I disagree with Gem that it will cover 5x7. It almost covers 5x7. There is no room for movements, and my attemps to use it on a 5x7 at infinity resulted in very noticeable dropoff at the corners. Shooting closer, causes the bellows to extend further and then it will cover. Still, my previous 90mm had been an older style Angulon 8.0 and they compared favorably, but the Fuji had a larger image circle. The Schneider didn't come close. I think the Schneider may have had a bit "harder" image, if that's the right word.

Gem Singer
9-Dec-2011, 10:50
Michael,

The 5x7 format requires a 208.7 mm image circle (diagonal of the format).

The Fujinon f8 90SW has a 216 mm image circle.

The Fuji is designed to be used with the 4x5 format. However, it does cover the 5x7 format centered in the horizontal position. Of course, with limited movement capability.

I use the Fujinon f8 90SW for 4x5 and a Nikon/Nikkor f8 90SW, with it's larger image circle, for 5x7.

Michael Graves
9-Dec-2011, 13:10
Michael,

The 5x7 format requires a 208.7 mm image circle (diagonal of the format).

The Fujinon f8 90SW has a 216 mm image circle.

The Fuji is designed to be used with the 4x5 format. However, it does cover the 5x7 format centered in the horizontal position. Of course, with limited movement capability.

I use the Fujinon f8 90SW for 4x5 and a Nikon/Nikkor f8 90SW, with it's larger image circle, for 5x7.

Perhaps I simply have a specimen with limited coverage. My Toyo 5x7 has pretty accurate detents for centering the lens. Also, the falloff was even on the corners. It was relatively abrupt as well, akin to a Eugene Atget photograph. Of course, I think he did it on purpose. I simply screwed up. Everything else about the lens is superb. Don't plan on trading it out any time soon.

Gem Singer
9-Dec-2011, 13:32
Michael,

My Fujinon f8 90 NSW is mounted in a silver ring Copal 0 shutter.

Could an older version of that lens, mounted in a Seiko B shutter, make a difference when it comes to clipping the corners?

They are both rated as having 216mm image circles.