PDA

View Full Version : HELP... Linhof Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon 90mm can't get ring off

Mnettsman
5-Dec-2011, 13:22
Hi,

I just bought a new Austrailian army surplus Linhof Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon 90mm Lens. Problem is I want to use it on a Gaoersi 6X17 and I can't get the retaining ring which holds a mounting ring, must be for the Linhof, off. I took it to a repair guy who had a spanner wrench which fit, but it wouldn't budge after all the years it has sat in the box.

Any one have any ideas as to what I can apply to the ring to loosen it up, and get the dang thing off??

Thanks,

Michael

Bob Salomon
5-Dec-2011, 14:06
A repairman had no idea how to loosen it?

domaz
6-Dec-2011, 11:56
WD-40 applied with a q-tip should help. If things get really desperate get a pair of needle nose pliers and expand them so the tips of the pliers line up with the notches in the ring for a spanner wrench and secure them in a vise. Put the retaining ring on the plier tip and turn the whole thing counterclockwise.

Mnettsman
6-Dec-2011, 12:19
Thanks all. Yea the repair guy couldn't get it to budge.

E. von Hoegh
6-Dec-2011, 13:43
WD-40 applied with a q-tip should help. If things get really desperate get a pair of needle nose pliers and expand them so the tips of the pliers line up with the notches in the ring for a spanner wrench and secure them in a vise. Put the retaining ring on the plier tip and turn the whole thing counterclockwise.

WD-40 isn't much of a penetrant. Or lubricant, for that matter. It is better than nothing. Kerosene or furnace oil is surprisingly good, as are Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, and Kroil, in ascending order.
On very tight rings, the fit of the nibs in the slots is crucial. Needle nose pliers are a makeshift at best, and as likely to do harm as good, either to the ring, shutter, or both. A properly fitting wrench, with nibs that fit the slots, is really the only tool for the job.

John Koehrer
6-Dec-2011, 17:12
Has the lens been removed from the board/ring?
You could try heating the ring. Propane torch, pencil flame around the circumference. Just heat it, it doesn't need to be red hot.

If the assembly is flat, You could try putting it between two pieces of pine or other soft wood and give it a whack with a hammer, the wood jwill protect the ring from damage and the shock my loosen it.
Duck, people will be throwing daggers on this one.