PDA

View Full Version : Ansco Studio 8x10...How to Get Her Home

John Conway
4-Dec-2011, 23:58
I had to have it. She is an Ansco 8X10 studio camera with studio stand. Big and heavy. The problem is the camera and stand is in Ohio and I am in New York.So I have to drive eleven hours each way or figure another way to get it home. I have heard of people that pick things up and deliver them.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian C. Miller
5-Dec-2011, 00:11
You want "less than load" shipping. There are a number of trucking companies that do this. I've only researched it for my own stuff, and haven't actually tried it.

Roger Thoms
5-Dec-2011, 00:12
Seem like it's time for a road trip. Any chance you could take a few days off and do some photography on the trip and even better is there someone you can drag along on the adventure. Good luck with your new purchase and getting it home. Should be lots of fun.

Roger

John Conway
5-Dec-2011, 00:57
I hope I can avoid taking the trip. Brian, thanks for the tip. I found a few companies and requested a price quote.I new this would be a bit of a pain, but the price was worth it.And what the heck,I have four vacation days that I must use by year end.I will have to see if the shipping cost is reasonable.Even if the shipping cost the same as gas and tolls, I'll go for it.

jp
5-Dec-2011, 06:27
If it's like the Century stands, they pack into my hatchback easily. I just remove the tabletop from the stand, put my car back seat down, and slide it in.

Pawlowski6132
5-Dec-2011, 07:08
Is this going to be put on a pallet and boxed, packaged, wrapped etc. before the LTL carrier picks it up? What Carriers are you getting quotes from?

Michael Jones
5-Dec-2011, 10:36
I had a shipper put a darkroom sink on a pallet, wrap it in plastic, & then Forward Air delivered it from New Mexico to Nashville for $100.

But someone has to prepare your load for the carrier & take it to them.

Good luck.

Mike

eddie
5-Dec-2011, 12:14
ny to chicago. strapped to a pallet will run you about $200-250 depending on if you have a residential address or a business address.

i just strap it to the pallet. sent 4 all over the USA and one 11x14 deardorff studio camera AND stand! to cali!

eddie

Harold_4074
5-Dec-2011, 14:03
I have a working arrangement with the local lawnmower shop where I know the family; they let me have "commercial" deliveries made there. I not only don't have to pay the surcharge, I don't have to play telephone tag with the shipping company and rendezvous with the driver on delivery day. A plate of home-made oatmeal cookies is later exchanged for the load, and we are all happy.

Incidentally, one potential issue with having it palletized and shipped is that an overzealous guy with a strapping tool can destroy something like a camera (or even a stand) in seconds.

Flying to the destination and renting a one-way vehicle for the return works for longer trips and larger loads, but probably can't compete with a freight forwarder on cost alone.

John Conway
5-Dec-2011, 14:19
So far it looks like I'm going to Ohio. The two quotes I got were 850.00 and 455.00. Ridiculous!! I paid 350.00 for the camera and stand. I still have not been contacted by the seller after two attempts. I'm getting nervous, but I paid him through Paypal, so I guess I'm covered. Maybe the seller is away for a few days.

BradS
5-Dec-2011, 14:19
I don't know about the stand but the camera can be disassembled and shipped via USPS Priority mail without too much effort / cost. I disassembled a Century Studio camera and shipped it in three boxes from California to Canada's Northwest territories for right around $160 - and that was International Priority mail.

Steven Tribe
5-Dec-2011, 14:25
I believe the commonest Agfa Studio stand is a copy of the Century two post type. The cast iron parts (which are easily dismantled for auto travel) are a slightly different pattern.

John Conway
5-Dec-2011, 15:03
It is a little different than the Century. I have the Century as well. I want to return this camera and stand to it's original funky gray glory and use it.I read that these could be ordered with all the steel nickel plated, wood painted gray, and red bellows. This one appears to be in decent shape, still gray, and all there except the back. I would like to get my hands on a film holder rack as well. One thing I don't understand yet is the double bellows set up on the camera. According to the original literature, the set up is supposed to make it easier to use short lenses.

goamules
5-Dec-2011, 16:12
...The two [shipping] quotes I got were 850.00 and 455.00. Ridiculous!! I paid 350.00 for the camera and stand...

That's why these cameras usually sell for about $250-400. The people that try to sell them for $1000 don't know how common they are. Last year there were like 5 on Ebay at the same time, not selling, with various prices. Every town and city had a photography studio, and every one had one of these cameras. Not to say they aren't good and you won't really enjoy it!

John Conway
5-Dec-2011, 16:35
Yeah, they are ,in my opinion, the ultra cool end of large format. I am a mad junky for all the early hollywood portrait work. You know, Hurrel, Bull, and one of my favorite, Alfred Cheney Johnston. My Century studio stand is sitting behind me with an Anthony Climax whole plate camera waiting to be used to make wetplates, but I haven't entered that realm yet. So I wanted another studio set up for traditional 8x10, the Ansco.

Doug Howk
5-Dec-2011, 17:41
I've got the Ansco Studio all in parts waiting to get the time to put it back together. I've refurbished most of the wood, but need a metal part repaired and a replacement for rear standard locking mechanism. The camera had been discarded by an antiques collector. Even had a Velostigmat with it sitting on the curb. Oh well, I think I'm lucky to have it ;-)
Hope you provide some pictures of yours when it arrives. I can use them as a guide for restoring mine.

Paul Fitzgerald
5-Dec-2011, 17:58
"One thing I don't understand yet is the double bellows set up on the camera. According to the original literature, the set up is supposed to make it easier to use short lenses."

The front standard takes 9x9 boards, the second standard also take the 9x9 boards SO, you can put the lens on the second standard and use the front bellows as a compendium lens shade. :D

You can also fit a large packard shutter on a 9x9 board and fit it to the second standard, air pipe through the lens board, flash connector also. :)

As far as one-way truck rental, they are not bashful on fuel consumption at all, something to keep in mind at $4.00+ a gallon.

John Conway
5-Dec-2011, 18:40
Thank you Paul. I now understand.It is a great design.

Pawlowski6132
5-Dec-2011, 18:47
So far it looks like I'm going to Ohio. The two quotes I got were 850.00 and 455.00. Ridiculous!! I paid 350.00 for the camera and stand. I still have not been contacted by the seller after two attempts. I'm getting nervous, but I paid him through Paypal, so I guess I'm covered. Maybe the seller is away for a few days.

Which Carriers?

John Conway
6-Dec-2011, 15:09
One was ABF and I don't remember the other. Doug, when I get the camera I will be glad to provide pictures.

Harold_4074
6-Dec-2011, 20:20
As far as one-way truck rental, they are not bashful on fuel consumption at all, something to keep in mind at $4.00+ a gallon.

Yep.

And the smaller trucks are in more demand. I reserved a 10-footer in Louisville to bring back an 8x10 enlarger with all of its bits and pieces. When I arrived at the rental counter, the clerk said that he unfortunately did not have a 10-footer (they go out for local house moves but don't always come back on time) so would give me a 20-footer for the same price. When I pointed out that this was an offer of negative value because of fuel consumption, he agreed to adjust the rental (I didn't need all of the space in the smaller truck, much less a 20-foot box). It was still a pain maneuvering that vehicle in parking lots, though.

On cost alone, a truck is almost certainly not a good option. But it would be better than having the camera trashed by an incompetent shipper.

John Conway
7-Dec-2011, 14:46
The funny thing is, I work for a trucking company. But we do all heavy rigging. All open trailers and only one box truck that is old and tired. To risky to take that far. We had a van but it was sold.There are a few open rack trucks and I used one when I picked up my Century Studio camera and stand but that was in Jersey, about four hours each way. The boss gave me the ok so I may just use the company truck. Heck, last time he even let me slide on the fuel and tolls. First I must talk to the seller, still no response.

John Conway
7-Dec-2011, 17:16
Finally!!! made contact with the seller. It is getting better by the minute. Turns out the guy is a retired old school portrait photographer and the camera was actually in use at the studio for thirty years. And, he said he has a lot of stuff. Can't wait to get there.

Harold_4074
7-Dec-2011, 20:02
Now, aren't you glad that you didn't just hire a shipper and have it palletized? No telling what artifacts (and stories) the owner may have to share!

Steven Tribe
12-Dec-2011, 09:46
John, get to him quick before he googles the prices of Studio lenses these days!