PDA

View Full Version : Using Whole plate size sheet film

Asha
3-Dec-2011, 09:34
In need of a little help from those in the know!
I regularly use 9 x 12 cm, 1/4 and 1/2 plate formats in sheet film.
Having recently obtained some whole plate film ( Ilfords annual promotion of LF sizes), I am in need of finding a way to hold it inside the wooden plate holder as I do not possess a sheet film adaptor for it.
I have read some ideas about using a sheet of glass and using jam to hold the film to it but I think that is a no go for me as I have no dark room...can you imagine trying to deal with it in a changing bag!!! lol
Obviously I have to watch out for any "shift" in the focal plane depending what method I end up using but i'm presuming that by stopping down the aperture will resolve that issue. (I've not had a problem with the smaller formats!)
Does anyone have any ideas that perhaps they have used with success?
Any suggestions welcome!

dwross
3-Dec-2011, 10:46
You can make glued-together paper sandwich of 2-ply mat board and black watercolor paper, cut to fit securely inside of the holder. Set it in the holder like a glass plate. Dab a little re-positional glue (the Post-It in a stick stuff) on each corner of the black paper and set in a sheet of film. Press gently on the corners (cotton glove a good idea). After exposure, the film comes off easily and the adhesive rinses off during processing. The mat board and black paper can live in the holder.

For use with a changing bag you can make up a bunch of backing board/film sets ahead of time and keep them in a box just like you would plates or film. I'd use a piece of Yupo smooth synthetic watercolor paper between them to make sure the film doesn't get scratched. I'm hopeless with a changing bag, so speaking from sorry experience, unless you know your way around inside one, you might want to practice at home with blanks :) .

Asha
3-Dec-2011, 11:41
You can make glued-together paper sandwich of 2-ply mat board and black watercolor paper, cut to fit securely inside of the holder. Set it in the holder like a glass plate. Dab a little re-positional glue (the Post-It in a stick stuff) on each corner of the black paper and set in a sheet of film. Press gently on the corners (cotton glove a good idea). After exposure, the film comes off easily and the adhesive rinses off during processing. The mat board and black paper can live in the holder.

For use with a changing bag you can make up a bunch of backing board/film sets ahead of time and keep them in a box just like you would plates or film. I'd use a piece of Yupo smooth synthetic watercolor paper between them to make sure the film doesn't get scratched. I'm hopeless with a changing bag, so speaking from sorry experience, unless you know your way around inside one, you might want to practice at home with blanks :) .

Thank you for that ...some of the stuff you mention such as the Yupo paper is perhaps not availalable here in france where I live but I'll google it to get an idea of what I'm looking for and go on the hunt for something similar.
Most of my camers are of english origin as I purchased them when I lived in the UK hence why they are of imperial sizes and not metric.
The camera I'm hoping to use is a full plate tailboard produced by Marion & Co :
Mine is much better condition than the one pictured here:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Marion

Hoping to get some beautiful photos from her!
I have a large changing bag but with a whole plate holder in there with film etc ...could be kinda interesting!! lol

dwross
4-Dec-2011, 07:46
Gorgeous camera! I envy you. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures with her.
d

p.s. Any very smooth paper will work to protect the film. I like Yupo because it's nearly indestructible.