PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy focusing

Collas
3-Dec-2011, 09:29
Does anyone have any hints on how to avoid a steamed-up ground glass? I use a Paramo dark cloth and it seems to cause the GG and the loupe to mist over very quickly.

Nick

Paul Fitzgerald
3-Dec-2011, 09:48
Stop breathing. :D
Use a snorkel. :eek:
Rain-X does make an anti-fog treatment, find it at any auto store. :)

Collas
3-Dec-2011, 09:59
I use Rain-X on my car's glass - windscreen, windows, mirrors and lights. I tried it on a motorcycle visor, exterior only, but this wasn't a success. I tried a few of the potions for the inside of a visor, but didn't find anything that really worked. Then I bought helmets (Roof and Schuberth) with pre-treated visors, and these were OK, no more. Absolutely no use in fog, though! I never did get round to trying Arai, as I no longer have the bike.

Nick

E. von Hoegh
3-Dec-2011, 10:40
Put Cat Crap on the GG. Really. :)

Joseph Dickerson
3-Dec-2011, 16:01
In regards to the last post...before you do, make sure it's the green waxy stuff designed to be used on motorcycle helmet visors.

Definitely don't use...well, you wouldn't anyway. :eek:

JD

IanG
3-Dec-2011, 16:13
If you don't really work in the landscape and so keep yourself and your gear warm in the car what do you expect.

Get out in sunny England let everything get colder as you walk and you'll never have that problem.

Ian

Ivan J. Eberle
3-Dec-2011, 18:16
I use a breathable membrane rain jacket for a darkcloth and it seems to help... Gotta try some of the Cat Crap I've got for my ski goggles. Another thought is rangefinder or hyperfocal focusing and rollfilm/Grafmatics when weather turns inclement.

David Karp
3-Dec-2011, 18:21
I keep forgetting about the Cat Crap, which has been suggested on the forum before. I don't have the guts to do the snorkel thing, although it will work perfectly. So, most of the time I do what Paul says, I hold my breath.

Paul Fitzgerald
4-Dec-2011, 19:05
"I use Rain-X on my car's glass - windscreen, windows, mirrors and lights. I tried it on a motorcycle visor, exterior only, but this wasn't a success."

Normal Rain-X will make the GG fog INSTANTLY, that's how it works. Rain-X brand does make an anti-fog treatment. I've never used Cat Crap.

Reading glasses work well and can stay warm in your pocket.

"I don't have the guts to do the snorkel thing"

Well, people do stop asking 'is that a Hasselblad?' but you just might get your very own satellite from Homeland Security :D

Lachlan 717
4-Dec-2011, 19:17
Have you tried any of the goo they use for Scuba masks (commercial stuff, not spit)?

Or toothpaste smeared on the GG very thinly? (This was suggested to me when I was learning to dive to stop the mask fogging).

Steve Hamley
4-Dec-2011, 20:13
Gelatin soap. Moisten a cloth, get some soap on it, and rub the GG. Let dry and buff with a clean cloth. Any soap will do, but some leave streaks.

Has to be re-applied fairly often, but it works.

Cheers, Steve

E. von Hoegh
6-Dec-2011, 08:12
In regards to the last post...before you do, make sure it's the green waxy stuff designed to be used on motorcycle helmet visors.

Definitely don't use...well, you wouldn't anyway. :eek:

JD

Here, I should have included this:

http://store.ekusa.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_12

blevblev
6-Dec-2011, 09:11
This "superhydrophobic" stuff would do it. I'm not sure it's available yet, but it's supposed to be soon. It's pretty exciting stuff and seems to have lots of potential uses, including keeping water off of your focusing screen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7is6r6zXFDc

and again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uSHLqowYqjU

jvuokko
7-Dec-2011, 14:05
fogging is frustrating, but when temperature drops belove zero and GG gets instant ice coating, then the real difficulties begin..

A thin electric wire around the GG would give enough heat to prevent fogging and even icing, but havent tested.
But i know that such systems are used by star photographers to prevent lens from fogging/icing during really cold winter nights.