PDA

View Full Version : A newcomer from Finland

igufi
2-Dec-2011, 05:18
Hello all,

I've been reading the forum for a while and, having now registered, it seemed prudent to introduce myself.

I'm in my 30s, I live in Finland and I got into photography partly due to my friends that are semi-professional photogs and partly due to my work that allows me to travel a lot. Photography became a counter force to the long meeting days, giving me a reason to head out to town early in the morning and night-time - just to see at least a bit of the city I was in. I started in the digital domain and then, about 2 years ago, I got my first film range finder and utterly fell in love with vintage cameras and film photography. Since then, I've participated some workshops on film development and darkroom techniques to further understand the analog medium.

So far, I have no experience with large format photography but I still got bit by the LF-bug recently. My long-term dream is to do portraits in 8x10 contact prints (eliminating the need for enlargers) but I'm afraid to dive to the deep end of LF before gaining some experience with view cameras techniques. The main attraction of LF for me is the slow, contemplative way of working as you compose and focus your shots - almost the complete opposite for today's digital world. Also, the unique tools for manipulating the focus plane seem really interesting, and I cannot hide my admiration to the visual appeal of the cameras themselves and their analog perfection that hasn't changed in the last hundred years.

Having read many of the "Getting started in LF"-posts here and other forums, it would seem that a Super Speed Graphics would be a good choice to get my feet wet (I also considered Meridian 45 but the lack of graflok back became a show stopper, as I want to use Polaroid 550 film holders too). At the moment I'm going through eBay listings daily but I want to wait still to gain access to this forum's classifieds to see if I can buy my first LF-gear from a fellow forum dweller instead.

I still have plenty of newbie questions related LF but I will take them to the appropriate sub-forum(s) :)

So, it's nice to meet you all - I'm looking forward to discus and share my experiences in the Large Format world.

Jan

Emmanuel BIGLER
2-Dec-2011, 06:26
Welcome to this large format international forum!

You are not the only European here ;)

I hope that you have more snow in Finland than us in the France right now (Dec. 2nd, 2011) :(
One of the ski races (World championship) scheduled in the Alps had to be cancelled and transferred to the US!

Regarding the choice of a first LF camera, beware of the old controversies between press - field - and monorail "uncompromising proselytes", as we say in French : they all preech for their own parish :D

All the (LF) best !

--
Emmanuel

mamanton
2-Dec-2011, 07:20
Hello!

You are very welcome!

Renato Tonelli
2-Dec-2011, 14:59
Welcome, and Happy Shooting!

Andrew O'Neill
2-Dec-2011, 15:10
Welcome!

Ole Tjugen
3-Dec-2011, 07:29
A hearty welcome from Norway, too!

I don't think the first camera matters much, it's a learning experience where you decide what your NEXT camera should have.

That much said, I don't think a Speed Graphic is a good starter, much less a Super Speed Graphic. A basic field camera, or a simple monorail like the Linhof Colour will give you a taste for movements. ;)

Jay DeFehr
3-Dec-2011, 07:54
Welcome!

A SSG certainly has its charms- compact, portable, durable, rotating back, hand-holdable, etc.- but for slow, contemplative work using camera movements, I'm with Ole, it might not be the best choice. That said, any LF outfit will provide you LF negatives to print, and you'll learn a lot by that alone.

igufi
3-Dec-2011, 11:40
That much said, I don't think a Speed Graphic is a good starter, much less a Super Speed Graphic. A basic field camera, or a simple monorail like the Linhof Colour will give you a taste for movements. ;)

I thought Linhof Color doesn't allow rear rise/fall or shift? Which field camera would you recommend?

Other cameras I've been looking at are
- Plaubels 4x5
- Chamonix 045N
- Sinar P
- Cambo 4x5

Plaubel seems to be the "best bang for the buck" but I'm a bit worried if I can source lens boards etc.

Any thoughts?

Ole Tjugen
3-Dec-2011, 12:51
The Linhof color has front rise/fall shift tilt and swing, plus rear swing&tilt. With that you can easily "emulate" rear rise/fall and shift. Much better than with a Speed Graphic which has no rear movements at all!

I started with a linhof Technika 5x7", then a Linhof color, and eventually ended with Gandolfi Traditional (7x5" and 10x8") and a Carbon Infinity (4x5"). Oh - and a Speed Graphic for shutterless lenses, and a couple of ancient plate cameras in all sizes from 6x4.5cm to 24x30cm. ;)

Recommendations - I don't really think I want to recommend anything. The cameras I use now are perfect for my use, but that doesn't mean they will be perfect for your use. And besides, they tend to be rather expensive if you can find them at all!

Sirius Glass
3-Dec-2011, 13:36
Welcome

Jan Pedersen
8-Dec-2011, 20:32
Welcome to the Forum from another Scandinavian.
Chamonix is a great camera. Although i only own the 8x10 version so can't speak specifically for the 4x5 but the build quality and functionality is excellent.
Shan Hao is also a good inexpensive camera with more movements than most of it's competitors, in particular the rear movements if that is what you are looking for.

igufi
9-Dec-2011, 02:36
Turns out, I couldn't wait for the 30 days to get access to the classifieds :)

I got a nice deal on Sinar F1 with rail extensions and two bellows that should be on their way to Finland as I type this. Other bits and pieces are making their way around the world too, like film holders, polaroid back, remote shutter release, loupe, and a basic 210mm lens. The lens was attached to an old Calumet 4x5 camera, so I will actually have two LF bodies for Christmas. How did that happen? :rolleyes:

SpeedGraphicMan
13-Dec-2011, 14:22
Welcome Aboard!

Large format is terrific! :)

Plus the whole "my camera is bigger than yours" is fun! ;)