PDA

View Full Version : Enlarger lens question

false_Aesthetic
1-Dec-2011, 23:03
Hey,

While I'm searching for a decent enlarger lens I'm wondering if I could simply mount one of my 180mm sironar N on my enlarger.

Are there any issues with this?

Thanks

jeroldharter
1-Dec-2011, 23:28
Enlarging lenses are cheap and work better. No use going to the trouble and expense of large format and then using a sub-optimal enlarging lens. I am sure you could get by if you had to use it in the meantime.

aduncanson
2-Dec-2011, 08:03
You may also consider the maximum enlargement that you would be able to make with such a long lens. My Omega DII allows only about 37 inches (940mm) from negative stage to easel. With a 180mm lens, that will not let you get to 3X magnification (on the base board.)

Neg to Paper Distance = Focal Length x (2 + Magnification +1/Magnification) (Approximately)

banjo
2-Dec-2011, 09:56
some camera lens DO work realy good for an enlargers BUT most DON"T
you have to compair lens!!
But your 180mm mite work ok for 5x7 But for 4x5 a 135 mm to 160mm
is more the size

false_Aesthetic
2-Dec-2011, 10:34
Yeah its for 5x7.
I'm low on funds atm and would rather spend it on film than another piece of gear.

Can someone explain why a lens to take pictures would be less than optimal for enlarging? In other words, if the lens is sharp enough, multi coated and has a big enough image circle to cover your negative when taking the picture, why is it not good enough going the other way?

Drew Wiley
2-Dec-2011, 10:43
Most enlarging lenses are optimized at closer range and at a wider f-stop, and obviously they don't need a big image circle for movements. Therefore a general
purpose camera lens tends to make a mediocre enlarging lens. But there are specific
exceptions.

aduncanson
2-Dec-2011, 11:29
Yeah its for 5x7.
Can someone explain why a lens to take pictures would be less than optimal for enlarging? In other words, if the lens is sharp enough, multi coated and has a big enough image circle to cover your negative when taking the picture, why is it not good enough going the other way?

Very succinctly: Any lens design is optimized for a particular magnification, although some designs hold their corrections well over a wide range of magnifications. Taking lenses are designed to perform best making a significant reduction, like perhaps 20:1 (subject/image.) Enlarging lenses are optimized for a small magnification, as low as 1:4 (negative/print.)

banjo
2-Dec-2011, 11:55
Enlarging lenses & coping lens are for making a Flat field of view

E. von Hoegh
2-Dec-2011, 12:27
Just traded a heatpipe out of a junk reciever for an Elgeet Colorstigmat 135/4.5coated enlarging lens. Pretty damn good lens, too, although you'd likely want a 150 - 165 for 5 x 7.

You can probably get a decent lens for less than the cost of a box of film. Look for Wollensak (who may have made my Elgeet) - Kodak etc.

John Koehrer
2-Dec-2011, 15:19
So, to sum it all up, An enlarger lens isn't as highly corrected as an enlarging lens.

Try your 180 and see if it's acceptable to you as an interim solution. You won't be the only one that has found it to work.